Front Suspension Rehab - Opinions Please

JAS

So I'm into the rehab of my front suspension. A couple of surprises so far. The first was one of the two relatively new ball joints installed by a PO (Meyle brand) was really stiff compared to the other one. Could barely turn the track rod arm on the driver's side

The other surprise was this (photo). Someone did a number on the control arm when drilling out the original ball joint. The other arm is not as bad but similar.

I doubt catastrophic failure would occur but worried it could possibly screw up the alignment of the strut or ??? There's about 2 mm side to side play in how the ball joint sits before tightening the three bolts

Opinions? Should I replace or is it ok to use as is?

John

post-36069-0-79538500-1418356701_thumb.j

It shouldn't be THAT stiff- stiff enough that it takes 2 fingers to turn the rod is good, that stiff is bad.

Meyle has been coming in 'fabrique au chine' and Made in Turkey, so I haven't been trusting them like I used to.

As to the holes, I wonder if that's rust.  If it was me, and I was going to use rubber bushings AND I hadn't

bought them yet, I'd buy whole arms, since the arms come with new bushings.

If I had the bushings, I'd make sure I had good washers under the bolts and reuse those arms.

hth

t

Thanks Toby - the picture doesn't show it well, but the gouges are consistent with a large (too large) drill bit and rust as started in.

Yeah, I am leaning to replacing the whole arms as I am replacing bushings as well.

John

New arms are the smart move if you're gonna keep the car for any period.  Also, as I discovered, the earlier cars (like my '69) have much thinner lower arms than the later (like my 73) cars do...

I replaced both arms on the '69 with the later style for additional strength, and because the originals were rusting along the seams.

cheers

mike

Archived