Crazy hEadLigHts! Bizzare

aerowise

Driving home tonight, all of a sudden my headlights flash into high beam, I'm talking SUPER HIGH beaM! Did not touch the low/high switch at all. Gauge display lamp as well went super bright, turned on blinker and it too was BRIGHT! Turned right on a street and then they switched back to the low beam I had them on.

I flicked the hi-beam switch and out they went, black...switched it back to low-beammmmm and there was light. Did this several times to test it and now I have no high beam.

Checked fuses, all good. Will check for loose connections in the morning.

Anybody know what happened here? It's got me confused as to what it could be. It just Switched to SUPER high beam....then back to low....now no high beam? BizZare... HELP!

Two things to check:

1.  Your voltage regulator is spazzing out and allowing all 13.2 volts to get loose in your electrical system. That would cause the dash lights and things other than the headlights to suddenly go very bright, then dim back down again once the regulator regained its senses and went back to its normal routine.  I would definitely check the regulator; let this happen too much and all your light bulbs will die before their time.  Won't help the other electrical things on the car either, like electric gauges, radio etc.  

2.  Your low/high  beam switch has an internal short, allowing both low and high beams to illuminate simultaneously.  That might or might not cause a fuse to blow, but it would put a load on the alternator with all four filaments (200+ watts) lit at the same time.  That in turn could cause a problem with the voltage regulator.  

I'd check both just to make sure.

cheers

mike

1.  Your voltage regulator is spazzing out and allowing all 13.2 volts to get loose in your electrical system. That would cause the dash lights and things other than the headlights to suddenly go very bright, then dim back down again once the regulator regained its senses and went back to its normal routine.  I would definitely check the regulator; let this happen too much and all your light bulbs will die before their time.  Won't help the other electrical things on the car either, like electric gauges, radio etc.  

that right thar....

Archived