VW rear brakes, which cable to use

02dag

I am in the process of converting to rear disc brakes. I am using the MK IV caliper, and this has the integrated parking brake. I have heard that some use a cable from a jetta, but have not been able to confirm this anywhere. I have also looked at different cables from VW but the cable length is about 1700 mm versus the 1540 mm for the 02. The black hose is normally around 1000 mm on a VW cable but half that length on a 02. If there is anyone that have cut cables I sure want to know how this is done, before I start ruining cables.

Actually, all I need is a reduction adapter for the attachment to the caliper, and I can then use 02 cable. Does anyone have some opinions about what to do here?

Yeah, thats a solution, and I have seen the pic before.However, the MOT guys that we are bothered with here in Norway, will rip that off and force me to swallow it. I could of course try to turn a piece on the lathe, of aluminium that fits exactly in the hole on the caliper and that has a hole I can put the 02 cable into.

But if one could buy a cable from another car that was a near perfect match, that would have been the best option.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to IE and they told me they used this

http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-2C-031-Z-Two-Piece-Clamping/dp/B003E48GUA which leads me to use a single disc which I weld on to the bracket. I will post some photos of it when I am finished

I see you use the MK1 or 2 caliper John, I am using the MK4, the cable attachment on that one sits much closer to the 02 cable end.

Not sure what you mean by not square.

Archived