• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

world upholstery seat kits feedback wanted

auggiemize

Anyone have feedback on one of the World Upholstery vinyl seat kits? I don't want the "I've just been re-(over)upholstered and look like a bloated tick" motif...so I'd love some input, or ideally pictures of a done project using their product...I'm planning to get a custom color, and don't want to eat it, if its less than excellant. drop me a note if you'd rather send pics to my email...

Much thanks,

Dave V. in NC

..."like a bloated tick"...

Dave,

That has to be the BEST description of what I call the "Bibendum" look: puffy and overstuffed with foam rubber!!!

Much of that look -- though perhaps not 100% of it -- relates to the underlying materials: generic foam rubber substituting for appropriately-shaped horsehair pads.

Good luck with your project,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have purchased 2 complete sets from them and the quality has been very good.  I was satisfied.  I don't have any experienced with their custom color work.

+1 to what Steve said.  Buy the horsehair pads and do it right.  They are expensive but the results are great.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

I have not purchased products from World Upholstery because I have always used GAHH for the last 30 years or so.   Very high quality and very helpful.  We used their kits in high end Mercedes & BMW restorations.  I do know that WU has been in business for a very long time( I think they were called XKSS in the 80's) and I have always heard good things about their products.

Hope this helps,

Eric

BMW 2002 owner since 1981

i've used 2 sets of WU front covers that i bought from folks on the forum...ultimately, how they look installed will depend strictly on how they are installed and what materials are used under the covers...i think most of the bloated seats you see and/or hear about are that way brcause too much or the wrong padding was used under them

Thanks folks...Heard what I'd hoped to, that "do these new seat covers make my ass look big", has little to do with the seat covers...FWIW, GAHH looks like about $1700, World looks like about $1300, not including shipping...and both agreed to do Cardinal red, but no returns...I had trouble with World's rattle-can vinyl dye as to color consistancy, so probably will get the covers and then let SEM match a swatch for the door and rear panels...(already did the armrests as an experiment)...you are right, Esty, even a furniture designer can do it...Interior project has been on hold for several years.. It all should look good in Nevada.

More comments are great...and look forward to pics

Dave V. in NC

it would be great if someone could post pics of a WU seat as well as a GAHH seat.  I have WU seats and wish they had more of a tucked look but they do not have any pull points on them to create a tucked look.  hope this makes sense but I am trying to have a more defined seat shoulder by pulling the middle seat area down.  I have also seen pics of seats with a pull running across the seat towards rhe rear that looks nice

Jeff