Brake caliper upgrade

4wheelforay

Hey guys,

I just brought home a '69 2002, I have the 2 piston front calipers and the passenger side is frozen. I posted a "WTB" in classifieds for a 2 piston caliper but I wanted to know if I could swap over to a 4 piston setup up front. Would I need to upgrade to a 320i master cylinder? As I said in my classified listing, I will be upgrading brakes come spring so this is just a bandaid. Thoughts? 

Thanks for the insight

Upgrading to dual circuit brakes should be one of the first things on your list. you can either go to 2002 4 pistons, or 320i,volvo BBK, wilwood; whatever you desire. You will need to change your master cylinder, and what you choose will depend on what brakes you chose. install new hard lines while you're in there (Andrew at Ireland Engineering makes a beautiful set for a fair price) as well as some fresh braided brake lines. rebuild the pedal box and booster pivot while you are in there and be happy you did it all in one shot. you will not believe the difference. 

The best advice I can give, after having done everything twice, is to do it correctly the first time and never have it be an issue again. If you don't, it will come back to haunt you. 

Thanks for the insight! Like I said I will be upgrading brakes in the spring. I will be doing the IE wilwood kit at all 4 corners. I was hoping to do suspension first but the frozen caliper has made brakes a top priority. A pedal box rebuild was definitely part of the brake upgrade budget. 

Is it possible to just swap in 4 piston calipers?

I'm not familiar with the caliper bracket on the struts of your car... I believe they are different so you will either need to make adapters or switch out your struts to later struts. 

You don't necessarily need wilwoods at all four corners. Although nice, they're overkill for the street and you lose the handbrake. A better option for the street is 320i rotors with volvo calipers. In the rear you can mount VW golf disks if you get your hubs machined to accept them. 

With that said, unless if you are driving particularly hard, stock 4 pistons and rear drums are fine. I drive my car very hard, every single day, no matter the weather, and know it very well. I cooked my brakes only once in my 2 years of ownership; It was a month after I had the car and I lost pressure because the brake fluid had not been changed in years and had water in the system. Since it was all fixed, I haven't come close to overheating them, and the engine has much more power then it did then and I'm more confident (and, hence, can brake harder). 

If you're taking it to a track.... things change completely. 

Archived