• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need therapy

Gordon

Just when I thought I was over my wheel whore addiction, I picked up another set.  I couldn't resist!  Today I scored a set of old school 15" MSW 15X7 ET26 mesh wheels with center caps for $160. Perfect offset to use these wheels on either my tii or E30.  After a few years of running the Rota RB wheels on my tii, I'm not feeling the love for the Rota's much anymore. At one point, I had 13 E30 basketweave wheels. I finally got rid of my basketweaves so my wheel addiction went way down (read, searching for E30 weave center caps). I'm down to a set of 15x7 ET25 old school Centra type 11 wheels, My MSW's and a set of bottlecaps. If I put the MSW wheels on the tii (they'll be cleaned up first), the Rota's will be up for sale but I'll keep the 195/50-15 Yoko S Drive tires.  Attached is a pic lifted from the Craigslist ad and a pic of what I would like the wheels to look like before installing them (not chromed, just polished). I want the center and the area between the spokes to be painted a semi-gloss black. Decisions over the winter to ponder.

G-Man

post-32299-0-23052000-1418002932_thumb.j

post-32299-0-71381700-1418002954_thumb.j

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

After 34 years of 02 ownership, i believe in upgrades and 13" performance tires have followed the path of the dinosaurs so I've upgraded along the way. So over the years of my 02 ownership, I've gone from 13" to 14" and now to 15" wheels with no regrets.  If I stumble on to a 67 1600 barn find. that's a different story.  I would keep the 1600 original but I own a square tail light 02 and there is nothing unique about square tail light 02's. I kept my 70 E3 Euro spec original (built in 69, first year production of E3) except for a Nardi steering wheel, NOS Abarth exhaust system and radio, the Nardi and exhaust system were period correct.  I had a spare Getrag 265 5-speed gearbox and a set of old school 15" BBS RA wheels that I didn't install on the 2800  because the E3 was a time warp and original.  http://www.coupeking.com/2800-bavaria-e3-1284   I had 14" Alpina's on the 2800 for a while which I removed because the proper tire size (225/60-14) for a 14" Alpina went extinct as well. The Alpina's were a period correct upgrade and they looked damn good on the 2800 I do admit.  I then went back to 14" original E3/E9 alloys. Being "an original purist" is all dependent on the car in question.

Even Stevie Wonder can see how ugly diving board bumpers are on a 02.  That's why I had the diving board conversion done on my tii.  My first 02 was a 75 Sahara Euro spec 1802 I had in the early 80's while stationed in Germany. I wanted my current tii to look like my first 02.and it does minus the 13" steel wheels. The era from 74-88 was fugly diving board bumpers on US spec BMW's. That's why in the past few years. I've owned a Euro spec E12 and E28, they look so much better than the US Spec counterparts.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

No, you are GETTING therapy.

Wheel therapy.

It's hardly any more expensive than the psychiatric kind,

and certainly cheaper in the long run than the alcoholic kind.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Re: the Old 7x14 AlpinA's I believe you are referring to, pretty sure back in the day they ran those on 205/70-14 tires or possibly 215/70-14 both of which are still offered by Michelin (XWX) and are still available albeit very pricey.  I am pretty sure they were the 205's on the CS/L's.  That 70 series tire looks really good on that rim (on those cars E9).

www.alpinabmw2002.com