accord coilovers for bmw 2002

blackbeast

a while ago i heard of someone using honda (ugh) accord coilovers for our 2002s. i searched and only found a vague post from 03...guessing it wasn't a popular topic here. Can anyone shed some light on this. Has anyone used them?   Dont want to spend GC or IE money on a set but if i must i will.

thanks! 

you can make just about anything "fit" with some work. It's not worth it though. If you're saving money by buying cheaper parts, then you're not really improving the handling of your vehicle and will likely make it worse. Not to mention the spring rates and dampening will be all wrong.

Long story short, put the correct parts on. IE/GC/others make a really high quality part for the money, and honestly the cost isn't that high. I have a friend who knows hondas inside and out and he always comments on how surprisingly cheap parts are for 02s when one considers the quality. You get what you pay for, and in the case of 02 parts, the community demands high quality and so the parts makers give us what we want. please don't do a bodge job on these cars; if you want cheap crap go buy a riced out civic. 

With that said, I'm not a purist. If you have to ask how this swap would be done, however, then you don't know enough about suspension design and setup to do it safely or effectively. If you want to do it, grab yourself a few books on suspension setup and design and find all the information you can regarding spring rates etc for our cars. That will be a good start. In the end, you'll be out a lot of time for very little gain. 

just wanted to know if it worked from an old thread i saw along time ago. With a rebuilt motor, schrick cam weber carb and 5spd conversion and custom stainless headers i dont think im going down the "rice" route what so ever. Thank you for your advise and help though. just interested in seeing how something like this would actually work. I could just weld the IE threaded tubes onto there respective perches and get vw shortened shocks along with springs.

If you search on ebay you'll find bunches of sellers with coilover kits that are like $50.  It's just an adjustable collar with spring that you weld on.  If it's the right size, you inspect the parts and deem them to be of OK quality, and you know what you're doing suspension-wise, then it may work just fine for cheap.  Just tweak it to fit right and pick out the right spring size from some place like Jeg's or Summit.  This will take a bit of research and fab skills.  Most of the purists on this forum will not take that kind of chance, and want to pay extra for something proven.  

Yup.  Coilover sleeves and springs from a 1992 4- cylinder car.  You get #400 lb/inch springs and sleeves that will work.

You have to fab your own support for the sleeves, and the quality of the springs is pretty suspect.

You also have to figure out the top mount, since the 'kits' use the stock Honda mount, not included.

I have used the sleeves.  They work.  Some look like they're better than others, but none are great.

You then install your own strut inserts ('shocks') as these are just sleeves adn springs and caps.

t

Archived