• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mentor local? 1970 ready for m10 rebuild and 5 speed conversion

024EVER

Hello, Took me forever to join but done.  Thank you all.

I have owned and daily driven (when I can) my 1970 2002 for about 6 years now.  Neat stuff!  I saw this car parked off to the side of a driveway in Colorado Springs.

It was the first one I had ever seen.  I knocked at the door to inquire.  Found it was owned by an out of state brother in Arizona.  The next day he called me and said he would sell it.  $1500 Drove it home.  Thing barely ran.  Old gas out, plugs, distributer, fluids n such and it ran better the more I drove it.  It was in sorta tough shape as it had been over 20 years since any restoration.  came with nice wheels, some decent trim and glass, working horn , lights, blinkers, wipers, heater and over all drove tight and smooth for being lowered.  I felt like I was in an awesome go cart. 

Slowly I did brakes, bearings , master cylinder, bushings, fuse box replacement, alternator, brake lines, and other usual stuff 

concourse cars in Colorado springs did a LSD and head job at some point along with the rubber connector thing at drive shaft?

I took the car to my friend Chris a B@M custom upholstery in wellington co. by Ft. Collins.  we pulled the interior and redid the entire inside.  It is my favorite thing about the car.

As this is a daily driver, It got a bit of light bodywork and a old ford antique white paint job as the interior and glass were removed.

Its been fun to jet around for years in this thing.  But I believe the bottom end has seized and the current mash of gears, 4 speed can only be shifted by me. (wife not happy) The exhaust is shot starting with the cracked header that is on there.  Also the rear left coil spring is weak and the car leans to that corner and is a bit funny around corners.  I have screwed those knuckle turn lifters in to aid me for the last few years, but I think it is time for a new set of lowered coil springs.

I have tried since May to get a quote from Concourse Cars in Colorado springs.  Too busy to get me one I guess or they don't want my 02 in there?

Anyway, I guess it my sign from above to just dive in and take care of it myself.  Who was I kidding, I could have never afforded them anyway likely.

I am wondering If there is somebody with some knowledge on a machine shop in Colorado springs that I should be chatting with about doing some proper block and head work for me?( New cam and springs)  Was wondering if there is a local member who might enjoy lending some guidance to me in black forest or here online?

Thank you for reading.

Chris

• 4 months later...

If you don't mind hauling it to Denver, Terry at Colorado Automotive Machine 303 789 7552  He had done two blocks for me, one sleeved and two heads.  He knows M10s and Porsche stuff.  On west Union west of S. Sante Fe, Englewood.  Others here have used his services also.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 4 months later...

I have built numerous m10 engines and also know the mechanical aspects of the car pretty well.

When it comes to tuning, I am no guru however.

I would love to wrench and work on 2002s.

Shoot me a text 415713three565

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors