Timing specs for a modded 02

jrhone

I have a 292 cam with Weber DCOE 40s side drafts. I have been using 34 degrees at 3000 rpms. I recall 13-14 degrees at idle. It seems to run well at this setting but would be interested in hearing what others think. Do you have points or electronic ignition? What gap are you using for your points. This is equally important and will affect your timing.

A total of 35 degrees sounds about right.  M10's like advance to make torque, make sure you are paying attention for "pinging" or detonation at lower RPMs and high throttle settings.  The amount of carbon, spark plug heat range, and jetting can make a big difference on how much advance you can run.  If you are going to use 35 degrees as your setting make sure you check it with the engine speed high enough to make sure the distributor centrifugal advance is "all in".  3500 rpm should be enough but once you have it set run it up to over 4000 just to make sure.   

I have 40mm Solex sidedrafts, 292 cam, Ireland's Tii dizzy with electronic igniter...but flat tops.  I run 33 degrees at 3000rpm for best "grunt".  That's more advanced than the others are suggesting, but my lower compression ratio allows for it.  You will likely have pinging at that setting with your Piano Tops.

Ed Z

Archived