Questions regarding heater delete

xferboy

I've got a couple questions regarding removal of heaters.  Or more to the point, running an engine out of a car.

I've taken a spin through this site and other and couldn't find an answer.

I have an engine that I may play with Megasquirt on.  The engine is out of the car (on a stand) and am wondering about what to do with the cooling lines that run outside of the engine, including the intake.  I know I could loop them around, but that would probably bother me.

I understand you can plug/cap the back of the head (making sure you can get the air out of the engine). 

What do you do with the driver side input to the water pump? Cap it as well?

or am I missing something.

thanks

Allan

Yes, cap the fitting on the intake manifold side of the water pump.  When the heater valve is closed there is no flow from the back of the head to this water pump inlet.  As long as you have the engine sitting at the proper angle (30 deg tipped to the right and the front of the engine slightly higher than the rear)  you won't have any trouble with trapped air. 

It is confusing, since that is the normal flow path to have the head outlet "directly" connected to that water pump inlet, via the heater.  But I'm guessing that the heater "radiator" acts sufficiently as the heat sink to pull "enough" heat from the coolant to prevent too much overall coolant heat buildup.

Weird, except to a thermodynamics major.

Cheers,

Carl

Carl,

The heater core does dump a lot of heat from that coolant, even more than the radiator under normal conditions (in # of degrees of temp change between inlet and outlet).  It also acts as a restrictor so the flow rate is much less than just running a open hose from the back of the head to the water pump.  Also when you turn off the heater it actually stops the flow completely. 

Archived