Ring gap orientation question for the engine gurus

NullZwei

I'm reassembling an engine I recently got back from the machine shop.  I'm curious to know the ring gap orientation preferred by the engine building gurus on the forum.  FWIW, I'm using CP pistons for a turbo application.  I've always staggered the gaps180 degrees apart and run them parallel to the wrist pin.  This has always seemed to work just fine but I was wondering what pros out there recommend. BTW, none of the paperwork I received with the pistons specifically addressed the spacing/orientation of the ring gaps.

Story related to me by the late Michel Poteau, BMWCCA member #2 and the real 2002 guru:  Sometime around 1974/75 BMW hired a number of gastarbeiters ("guest workers") from foreign countries to help with a shortage of workers in Germany.  
Among them were some skilled mechanics, who were put to work assembling M10 engines.  

During a routine inspection the BMW supervisor noticed several young guest workers installing piston/rod assemblies into engine blocks, first carefully alligning all the piston rings so the gaps were in line with each other!  Needless to say those engines had to be disassembled and the rings rotated so they gaps were no longer aligned.  At least BMW hoped they re-did all those engines before they left the factory... 

cheers

mike

I just read an article a few days ago that said that rings typically rotate 1 to 4 times an hour, depending on load conditions.  

Personally, I have never removed a worn ring that left wear marks indicating that it stayed in the same position throughout its life

If rings didn't rotate, they would leave a very noticeable mark in the groove at the gap. I'll post a link if I can find the article again. 

Archived