Fun drive in the tii today

cda951

I took advantage of the beautiful and sunny 75 degree weather today and did a 100 mile drive in my tii to aid in breaking in the newly-rebuilt engine.

I started in Santa Barbara and drove along the coast, then headed into the mountains and drove up Gibraltar Rd where I snapped the pics, then back down to the backroads of route 192, then 150 to Ojai, where I came across the NK 4 door pictured below. It looked to be in decent shape. Then back up the 101 to Summerland and back to Santa Barbara. It was a lot of fun!

Enjoy the pics.

post-46142-0-82747700-1416701583_thumb.j

post-46142-0-37418300-1416701645_thumb.j

post-46142-0-04917600-1416701688_thumb.j

post-46142-0-72805900-1416701732_thumb.j

Same idea today for the 1600. I'm doing surgery on the window regulator, so I haven't driven her for a week or so...

I must have been having too much fun; when I got stopped at the Border Patrol check, the guy took extra time to "profile" me. "Where are you headed?"

"Just out for a drive, it's a beautiful day."

Pictured is Slicktop City's version of fall colors. Get your fresh Foxy Lettuce here!

post-43826-0-92115500-1416716256_thumb.j

Meanwhile, back in Ohio, the last of the 5" of snow we got last Tuesday melted in the "balmy" 44 degree temps we had today. Unfortunately, the salt on the roads still remain. I think our '02 driving season is over here. Sigh...

Torrential rain here today.

Cryin' in my beer too, mike.  Those Socal guys keep rubbing it in.

Torrential rain here today.

Cryin' in my beer too, mike.  Those Socal guys keep rubbing it in.

Haha, it is not my intention to rub it in, but it is nice to show off my beautiful backyard!

We do pay the price to live in paradise: I rent a very small guest house and both of my cars live on the street (see below). Both cars have to remain somewhat mobile so they can be moved for street sweeping, etc so large projects are a logistical challenge.

It would be tough to have your fun car stuck in the garage all winter, but that at least gives you ample time to tackle large projects and work on them as you can. On a weekend such as this, it is a drag being stuck in the shop all weekend, so both of my cars always have a long "to do" list! Not a horrible "problem" to have, but I'm trying to provide you snow-belt guys with some glass-half-full points!

post-46142-0-34462800-1416773837_thumb.j

Meanwhile, back in Ohio, the last of the 5" of snow we got last Tuesday melted in the "balmy" 44 degree temps we had today.  Unfortunately, the salt on the roads still remain.  I think our '02 driving season is over here.  Sigh...

mike

winter storm threatening for this wed....local dot will probably dump tons of salt.  had no choice but to take the M2 out just before dusk to terrorize eastern fairfax county for an hour.   used up gas, made lots of noise, plastered evil grin on face...all was right with the world!

sigh...possibly the last drive of the year....

on to the winter projects!

Santa Barbara is truly sports car drivers paradise. My dad purchased the BMW 1800 TISA in Santa Barbara in 1988, it was living on cliff drive. At that time I was going to UCSB, and driving my 72 911 , Which luckily I have kept. I worked at a motorcycle shop in Ojai, called rennsport after graduating,, and used to Drive out to  Ojai every day on my  Moto Guzzi Lemans, or in the 911. I was lucky enough to work on several of Guy Websters motorcycles, and visit  his unbelievable Italian motorcycle collection in Ojai. Life was unbelievably good.

Driving along the beach, and up through the mountains over the lake Casitas Pass to the Coldspring Tavern is still one of the things I love to do. We try to go visit friends in Santa Barbara for the Santa Barbara international film festival every year. I end up thrashing a rental car over the pass, and into wine tasting country, and always wish I could be driving a  sports car. 

The only person luckier than you maybe Nick Vyse, who lives in the French Southwest, close to the Riviera. I often regret that I did not find a way to keep living in Santa Barbara. I returned East for graduate school, and to be with family. I lived in Santa Barbara from 1986 to 1992, and they were some of the happiest years of my life.

I had a near religious experience one time, when a friend allowed me to ride his Ducati Hailwood up over the lake Casitas Pass on Highway 154. It was so beautiful that 30 years later, I couldn't forget it and ended up purchasing one just like it, which ironically - was located in Santa Barbara.

You have chosen well. By the way the Tii looks fabulous and I am truly jealous. All my best, Peter.

PS we will probably Be in Santa Barbara for the international film Festival this year if you would like to have lunch, and shoot the breeze about matters BMW one day. Sincerely Peter.

post-39399-0-46197100-1416836920_thumb.j

post-39399-0-48599500-1416836969_thumb.j

post-39399-0-15780500-1416838374_thumb.j

Another great drive from Santa Barbara is keep going over the San Marcos pass (make sure you stop off at Cold Springs Tavern) on CA 154. Numerous great roads on the other side of Lake Cachuma that take you through the Santa Ynez Valley wine country. Always stop off in Los Olivos to sample the goods. Drum Canyon road ftom Los Alamos back to CA 246 and Foxen Cannyon road from Los Olivos to Santa Maria are a few of my favorite north county roads along with CA 1 from Lompoc back to US 101 and a drive on 101 from Gaviota back to Santa Barbara.

I lived in north Santa Barbara county for many a year, love the area

G-Man

• 3 months later...

Another nice weekend here for driving, hopefully the hardy souls in the snow belt can dig out soon and be able to do the same thing . . . . 

Yesterday I drove 175 miles, from route 192 in Santa Barbara to 150 in Ojai, and then drove most of Highway 33, which is a must-drive for anyone in the area who has never done so. There was rain in the forecast, which meant that there were snow flurries at 5000 feet. I tried to convey this in the through-the-windshield shot below, but it is hard to see in the pic.

Today was a short but sweet drive up old San Marcos drive and Painted Cave Rd. The gratuitous car/scenery shots below show Lake Casitas near Ojai in the first pic, and the second group shows the car perched in the mountains above Santa Barbara.

Lots of load changes and deceleration in gear from ascending and descending; the rebuilt engine is almost broken in!

post-46142-0-08362200-1425255376_thumb.jpost-46142-0-25834800-1425255461_thumb.jpost-46142-0-60191200-1425255582_thumb.jpost-46142-0-47977800-1425255744_thumb.jpost-46142-0-20514200-1425255774_thumb.j

Archived