Current cost of Schnitzer 20-4??

mac

I would have it thoroughly inspected. Make sure it is in serviceable condition. No cracks and that the water jackets are not corroded. Make sure it has not been

surfaced to minimum thickness. Make sure the cams are in good shape and the line bore in the carrier is straight when it is installed on the head. Lifter buckets are all there and in good condition etc. Does it have the manifolds? Header? Custom headers are not cheap. I believe there is someone making reproduction heads for about 35,000 Euro. It would be a really trick piece and I would love to have one, I just don't think it's worth the price of a really nice Tii to me.

My last day "down under" (Bondi Beach, AU), surfin the net before I head out for a while.  Value, hard to say these days, that AlpinA A4 system minus a correct pump was up over $6k, I figured 4.5-5k$.  Just off the top with all the parts and pieces (complete) I would just guess 10-15k and a probably on the upper end of that so long as the cast bits (head & cam carrier aren't jacked up)...but that is just a guess.  If it is "used" which I am assuming it is, it will likely need new valves, guides and seats.  The cam lifters/buckets are replaceable (they are actually alfa romeo lifters) and are probably also serviceable.  Mine were coated with DLC to make them bullet proof, but I will tell you that sh#t is expensive....like $1300 to have all of them coated. As previously noted you don't want a cracked head or cam carrier, one of the main things to check out is how much material has been taken off the bottom.  I have a post somewhere in my blog that shows various heads and how much they have been milled. If the head has been milled such that you are close to where the "SCHNITZER" is cast into the bottom of the head intake side you need to be careful, more things to consider and you definitely want someone more familiar with these types of engines to examine it.  My engine is nearly done, it may be done now - I will find out where things are next week when I am back home, no idea what I have into it (and, really I don't think I want to know!)

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Mark,

We've talked Schnitzer a few years back.  Old computer crashed--lost your email address.

email me. Hopefully we can talk some more.

macitz AT GmaiL Dot com.  (check your computers address file).  Thanks.

mac.

Archived