'72 tii Upholstery Assistance Needed Please...

COOP

Hello!

Any insight into OEM upholstery resources?  I've of course heard of the repro products from World Upholstery which I'm told are quite good (yes/no?)...However, "Sid's" in Mountain View, CA (any feedback on them btw?) apparently sources "genuine" vinyl from a place called "Veteran" which I had never heard of.

I just acquired a 1972 tii with 54K documented original miles.  The interior is very nice but the driver's seat has a split in it.  Any info would be much appreciated (and yes, I did search the archives in an attempt to spare the lives of any innocent puppies/kittens). I'm going for originality with this car and so your feedback is invaluable!

TIA,

COOP

'72 tii #2760754

'73 M2tii #2764282

post-46406-0-41419600-1416358429_thumb.j

post-46406-0-70086900-1416358674_thumb.j

Veteran in L.A. has lots of vinyl but you won't find basket weave for the seat inserts anywhere in Tobacco (early cars) or saddle.  Some might have black or blue, not sure on those either.  Best source is from a parts car or members here but everyone seems to be looking for it as well.

Veteran in L.A. has lots of vinyl but you won't find basket weave for the seat inserts anywhere in Tobacco (early cars) or saddle.  Some might have black or blue, not sure on those either.  Best source is from a parts car or members here but everyone seems to be looking for it as well.

Thank you for that!  Do you know how "close" in appearance and quality the World Upholstery reproductions come to the original basket weave?  Much appreciated...

COOP

It depends on how you define "original appearance" -- and every person has a different interpretation of that phrase. I believe that even good replacement covers, such as World Upholstery's, stand out like a sore thumb, both in color and texture. I would follow Chris's suggestion and find a good used seat panel -- it can come from a front seat or a rear seat -- and have it pieced in by a good shop.

Have you seen this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/160085-front-seats/

We, of course, would love to see more photos but your new tii looks like a great car!

Regards,

Steve

I agree. None of the new vinyl options are an exact match, and you will notice it unless you want to redo the entire interior. For my 72tii I found a complete and intact rear seat, which will be used when my stock front seats need replacing. Nice rear seats are easier to find, and give you plenty of vinyl to work with.

Dieter 

It depends on how you define "original appearance" -- and every person has a different interpretation of that phrase. I believe that even good replacement covers, such as World Upholstery's, stand out like a sore thumb, both in color and texture. I would follow Chris's suggestion and find a good used seat panel -- it can come from a front seat or a rear seat -- and have it pieced in by a good shop.

Have you seen this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/160085-front-seats/

We, of course, would love to see more photos but your new tii looks like a great car!

Regards,

Steve

Thank you very much for the insight Steve & others...Definitely sounds like finding a donor vehicle is the best bet if original appearance is the goal  Pictures of the new baby and the tale behind it (quite a wonderful story actually) to come shortly...

Archived