Help on getting part information! 76 02

Alexkafy

Hi guys 

I've been trying to figure out what exactly this part is so I can find/order a new one for my 76 2002 

It drives great but every time i'm accelerating it sounds like a tractor...have i thought too hard about it, or is that sound normal? this is my first 02 so im sorry for the newbieness. 

Its a metal ended hose with braids. I've attached a picture

Its located underneath the engine on the passenger side and I think it goes from the engine to the manifold 

When you hover your hand over it, you feel clunks of air escaping

when i bought the car, the part was already out 

it looks similar to waterpump to manifold hose but i cant identify this!

Part number on it is 

Hydra 1-44351 but when i look it up online nothing shows

post-47882-0-13523900-1416297457_thumb.j

post-47882-0-46003900-1416297460_thumb.j

Alexkaty,

I believe this pipe is part of California emissions system. I have a1976 49 State version 2002 that does not have the EGR system. Pipe connects to rear of exhaust manifold (reactor type) to exhaust gas filter as part of EGR system. BMW part number 11711260086, item 16 in picture below:

80412320df4e8de82ad92f717d50e1ec_zpsd2b7

BMW dealer or Maximillian should have these forv$60-70.

Alex where are you located? As long as it isn't California you should be looking to remove all the emissions equipment. The car will run so much better with it all the emissions baggage.

Alex where are you located? As long as it isn't California you should be looking to remove all the emissions equipment. The car will run so much better with it all the emissions baggage.

I'm located in Texas. So what else should I have removed? Thanks!

I'm located in Texas. So what else should I have removed? Thanks!

Alexkaty,

I believe this pipe is part of California emissions system. I have a1976 49 State version 2002 that does not have the EGR system. Pipe connects to rear of exhaust manifold (reactor type) to exhaust gas filter as part of EGR system. BMW part number 11711260086, item 16 in picture below:

80412320df4e8de82ad92f717d50e1ec_zpsd2b7

BMW dealer or Maximillian should have these forv$60-70.

This is excellent information. I live in Texas so don't need that anymore! Thank you tombonetoo

Would this be the cause of the tractor sound I get when accelerating or is that a normal 02 sound??

The tractor sound is probably because your timing is way off (pinging), make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks and that your timing is set correctly. Make sure that the vacuum advance on your distributor is connected and working, there are two connections on your distributor and if the emissions equipment has been removed the only the advance should be connected, not the retard port.

This is just a guess as I am only imagining what a tractor sounds like, we don't see many tractors in San Diego ;-)

The "clunks of air" are an exhaust leak, which will make it 'sound like a tractor'.  

There are old posts about plugging the hole where that part was attached.

Some use coins under the nut, others a brass plumbing cap with threads which are 'close enough'.

(try searching "de-smogging" or something similar, using 'forums' or 'google' in the drop down feature)

Alexkaty,

I am also in Texas - Fort Worth area and would happy to walk you through a complete de-smog. I have removed and saved all my emissions stuff (as opposed to throwing it all into my neighbors pool....). Car will run better, it will be lighter and you will have a cleaner looking engine bay.

Best

Alexkaty,

I am also in Texas - Fort Worth are and would happy to walk you through a complete de-smog. I have removed and saved all my emissions stuff (as opposed to throwing it all into my neighbors pool....). Car will run better, it will be lighter and you will have a cleaner looking engine bay.

Best

Alexkaty,

I am also in Texas - Fort Worth are and would happy to walk you through a complete de-smog. I have removed and saved all my emissions stuff (as opposed to throwing it all into my neighbors pool....). Car will run better, it will be lighter and you will have a cleaner looking engine bay.

Best

Thats awesome! I live in Dallas. What is your email? I'd like to send you a video of the car in motion and tell me if you think its emissions related!

Archived