gas tank rupturing when rear ended

gaius

Topic has been discussed before....click the link...   http://www.bmw2002fa...reball-lawsuit/

thank you for that, but Tobyb"s answer was  more what i was looking for. i know that if someone rear ends you at high speeds all bets are off. but a few people on here have been rear ended. :(  was asking for their experience/prospective. most of the time  it will be under 30 mph, thats my experience anyway.

gaius.

When my '02 was rear-ended at a red light in North Seattle years ago ("I was looking for my purse," the woman said) I was able to drive away from the scene of the crime. Later, when I put some gas in the car to drive to the insurance claim facility the gas tank immediately began to leak. I waited until the leak stopped - around 3/4 of a tank remained and it was easy to see where the leak originated on the tank.  I drove it to the insurance place ("That'll take about $2000 to fix," they told me incorrectly), and then had it towed to a local den of thieves i.e. body shop.

Insurance did come through in the end and I was adequately reimbursed, ruptured gas tank notwithstanding.

post-38342-0-71140500-1416312293_thumb.j

My first 2002 only had a one to two gallons of gas when I got plowed into by a 70's Monte Carlo with it's big bumpers & long hood. Gas tank got shortened a bit as you can see. It did not leak, did not explode.  www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/69147-my-first-love-73-2002-in-its-final-resting-spot-in-1980/  Car was only 7 years old then. His speed was estimated at 60 to 65. I was stopped with my foot on brake. Monte Carlo driver had been drinking.

Archived