comment on this ebay 1973 tii

vairter

This is no longer a crazy price for a good solid round taillight tii. Do yourself a favor and, assuming you are not a 2002 expert, get a PPI from someone who is. I'm partial to Polaris, but if you're partly buying it because you want a factory Polaris car, send the VIN to BMW Archives and confirm it is a Polaris car (the PVC-frei version of Polaris came out during the '73 model year, but I didn't realize it was this early). You should have an answer Monday, along with the manufacturing date. (I'd guess it might be a November '72-ish production car.) Discount the claims of "original miles" as both the bullseye/plastic wood veneer instrument cluster and the one-piece dashboard have been transplanted from a '74-'76 square taillight car: NEITHER existed when this car was manufactured (there will be at least 3 or 4 month/year dates on the reverse side of the instrument cluster verifying its manufacturing date).

There are plenty of buying guides on this forum, discussions of rust, etc., but a PPI by a "2002 guy/gal" will pay for itself many times over.

Good luck,

Steve

If I was still looking for an '02 I'd buy this after a PPI. Look for a shop here, http://www.bimrs.org/BMWshopLocator.html.

Then I'd contact the seller and talk to them on the phone. Then hit the BIN (buy it now) button.

After I drove it home, cross country I'd replace the '74 dash with a black '73, the wood grain looks cheesy to me. I'd source a Blaupunkt Frankfurt. Then drive it like i stole it with a huge smile on my face.

Hell, maybe I will do that...oh wait, I did that in 2010. 

BUY THIS Tii, everything looks right.

Send VIN to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

The clock is a VDO Series-One, has not been available for several years.

As always, do a proper ppi.  The finder adawill linked is ok, but you'll want someone who specializes in 2002's.  In Santa Monica area there is Long Beach AutoHaus, Ken Blasko (a member here), and though it may be a trek, Bavarian Workshop.

...As always, do a proper ppi. The finder adawill linked is ok, but you'll want someone who specializes in 2002's. In Santa Monica area there is Long Beach AutoHaus, Ken Blasko (a member here), and though it may be a trek, Bavarian Workshop.

And although it is also a trek, Jeff Tighe, of TP Motorsports in Costa Mesa, knows his 2002's and is also a good guy. He did a tii PPI for me, on short notice and even at the seller's location, and I've had no surprises.

Steve

If it has the original engine (vin on block matches car's vin), and doesn't have a lot of serious rust in it (there aren't any pics of the chassis), $19k probably isn't that crazy, nowadays.  It isn't perfect, but apparently perfect ones are a lot more expensive than this.  

The gauge pod is easy to change, and not horribly expensive.  Why they would swap out the dash is certainly a question in my mind.  

The license plate thing is strange, and Toby saying it had been hit from behind is concerning.  You can see the bumper is sagging and it's dimpled a little where it attaches to the body on the sides of the car.  I'm not a huge fan of the carpeting on the bottom of the door cards, but that is easy to change.  

Get the PPI, as everyone says.  Then you know exactly what you're dealing with.  I like the color combo.  Classy.

Scott

Archived