One wire or two - Momo boss/button?

zambo

I have acquired period Momo boss kit with BMW button. The "cage" has a wire with terminal within it, connected through the boss base to the springy brush that I assume earths the horn out. As well the underside of the button has only a single terminal on it.

On the OEM set up, there is the single wire that comes from the loom, which earths out when the horn buttons (I have the three spoke OEM wheel, so three points of contact) are depressed, so can someone explain how it works with just the one terminal on the reverse of the Momo button and the single wire in the boss cage. I would think that I just attached the OEM wire to the single terminal on the Momo button, leaving the in-cage spade terminal/wire loose ...?

Thanks

Richard

if i can understand what you are describing... (cage?)

the horn is grounded through the steering shaft.

the positive comes through the ring on column, through the contact (the springy thing?) on the hub (cage?) , through the wire to the horn button.  horn button is grounded through the side contacts to the hub, which is bolted to the shaft, completing the circuit.

I have a Momo/BMW horn button and MOMO wheel.  The HUB of the Momo wheel is ground as it's bolted to the steering column (also ground).  The hub also has an insulated (positive) spring button (brush you call it) that revolves around the (positive) collar mounted on the steering column shroud.  That spring button (brush) has a positive wire connected that lives inside the hub.  You attach that to the terminal on the logo button.  The logo button has a metal wire edge that doubles as a ground connection and friction fit to the hub.  You depress the button and the connection is made.

Thanks for that - all clear on those directions. The cage reference is just how I was describing the boss section that is covered by the ribbed rubber sleeve.

This question may resolve itself (visually) when I pull the OEM wheel off but there is a black wire with spade connector coming thru the OEM column/hub as it stands that connects up in sequence to the three horn button points on the OEM wheel.

Is this no longer in play with the Momo boss/wheel set up?

So it did resolve itself once off and all wires and contact points made sense.

The only issue now is the spring button makes contact at some points on the metal ring (straight ahead is great and get a horn contact), but not at other points on the circumference of the ring. Is this typical? 

The hub appears to be well planted on the column and at a solid "stop point"  before I start to tighten the central nut. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks Richard

Archived