sold for $37,500 .....

OriginalOwner

Is this a factory Tii, or home made? Since it has the air intake by the right headlight.

It's a common myth that all Tii's came with a non-snorkel nose.  A myth that has been proven wrong on many occasions.  BMW wasn't about to stop making Tii's during nose production gaps.

*But you have a point, regardless of snorkel or not it's still worth asking if the nose has been replaced, or bondo-d, or original.

Is this a factory Tii, or home made? Since it has the air intake by the right headlight.

I think people place way too much stock in the presence of an intake snorkel being the make or break criteria of a tii's provenance.

Yes, it seems that the vast majority of tiis did not have the snorkel nose panel from the factory, but these are 40+ year old cars now, most of which have quite a "history" by now. It only takes a light hit in the nose of these cars to necessitate nose panel replacement, and the non-snorkel piece has likely been unavailable for some time.

Now I understand that someone who is willing to shell out that kind of money would want assurance that said vehicle is the genuine article. This is where due diligence and a comprehensive PPI come in. Besides, ultimate concours originality was obviously not the defining factor for the buyer of seller in this case. I am more bothered by the chrome intake and valve cover than the snorkel, though the rest of the mods are tasteful and appropriate.

In any case, I am stoked that I got an original (albeit modified) '73 tii (with snorkel!) for less than 1/4 of the price of this car just last year.

Wow that is a lot of bucks.  My thought was the more original cars were the ones that would fetch the higher prices.  For the most part this car's mods were fine by me, though.  Roundie tii in a sought-after color.  Pushes a lot of buttons.

Looks like you could jump in and use it / drive it...a lot of people like that, I think.  

Main point of these posts to me, is to showcase them with my lovely wife.  "Maybe I'm not such a moron after all.  At least on this point."  So thanks for giving me that opportunity, Carl.

Scott

If the ID #'s are tii numbers and they appear on the ID plate, the passenger fender and the upper steering wheel cover you've got authenticity unless it's been messed with and it appears that way. All the other stuff like whether it has a snorkel nose is not definitive.. There are a number of other things to look for that most counterfeiters are not aware of unless they are really thorough. Like boxed trailing arms, bigger brakes, etc.

On one hand I'm happy our little cars are gaining ground in the collector market. You've seen it happening with early 911's And Alfa's and other vintage euro cars that are trading higher and higher. In another way I'm kind of sad to see one more thing that will be sucked up by the trendoids who are only after the look and take them out of the hands of people who would actually use them regularly as daily transport(except for inclement weather of course!) and appreciate them for what they truly are..... A Whispering bomb!

Archived