M10 rebuild to built

jimnhrn

So this spring I bought a 76 2002 from another member here. For a NH car minimal rust, had springs, big brake, dual 40's etc on it but a low compression motor with the 40's made it a slug. I am better writing checks than turning wrenches so I found a local BMW shop to rebuild and build the original motor. So basically the block and the bare head is all that is left. 10.5 :1pistons, shrick 304 cam, 2mm larger intake valves, header and custom exhaust with my dual sidedraft 40's on it. It is going to be peaky but I wanted something different.  What do you think?

That is some serious C/R ratio for a US-car, is my thought. Where do you even get fuel? You would need at least 98 octane, I assume? The cam is pretty aggressive as well. You might even look into getting some 45s, or even better; EFI. What kind of ignition set-up are you running? 

It´s definitely going to move, that is for sure. But how practical/driveable it is on the street, might be another question. What have you done suspension wise?

When I went to vsr1.com we had numerous conversations over several days. The plusses and minuses were discussed. I know I am on the upper end of streetable but this is not a daily commuter but more like a breakfast in Vermont car. I told them at VSR I have done a lot of stupid things in my life this is one of the few I have done on purpose.

Points along gone in this car but soon it will have MSD or something like that in it. It has H&R springs, solid bushings, bilsteins and 14" rubber on it. Bracing and relocating the battery will be on the list as well.

I am 54 and had a 2007 civic si previously.

I hope that you means "Points are long gone in this car". I would not like points on a so stringed out engine. But hey, it worked for 30 years before people started doing fancy ignition. 

Ignition-wise, there are a lot of different options. MSD is one. 

I would recommend 123Tune from 123Ignition. Looks stock, simple to install, and very adjustable.

If you've already discussed things at length with VSR then I fail to understand why you'd give any relevance of an opinion here based on a one paragraph explanation.

This isn't meant to sound rude, but given they are a competent/respected shop with whom you've had the opportunity to really solidify a build's route based on extensive conversation, you've got a far better plan already in place than to be distracted and potentially confused/unsure from the scatter-shot responses you are bound to get here.  Please take this solely as a bit of friendly perspective.

Yes, your build is at the upper limits of streetable, the tuning will certainly be tricky but it sounds as though that it suits your desired outcome to a "T".  As an essential bonus you've got the means to make it happen (not to mention the car being in capable hands).  I'll definitely look forward to seeing pictures of the end result, it's sure to be a blast of a beast!

Basically what this car and build is a gift to myself. I am coming up on being a 25 year cancer survivor and a 2 year heart attack survivor. My commuter is a 12 year volvo so I don't splurge on myself.I have maxed out my 401-403b for the last 25 years and I just want to enjoy life a little bit now. I was hoping to develope friendshipds via this community like the ones I have enjoyed when I was a motorcyclist (air head bmw's and Ducati's).

Additionally I was hoping to find soeone that had done something similair and would share.

Have a great day, please continue with the comments.

Jim  a new hampshire RN ie jimnhrn

What do I think?

Track it.

You'll want more cam if you do.

Otherwise, you might find you want a bit less.

Or not, if you don't mind winding it a bit more

than a stock car.

I raced something only slightly more aggressive, and it 

would have been OK on open roads with radials.

But not in traffic.

t

Thanks for the feedback, it is all appreciated. AS I told the builder my intention for intown driving is just to get gas. I went from Goffstown NH to Turners Falls Mass yesterday with 99% of the driving not in town.  

For the ignition is currently has Pertronix.  Slowly looking into tires and wheels. It has 14 inch basketweaves that do not rub. Or several years handling will be improved but the budget is being blown on the motor.

Thanks again,

Jim

It's been my understanding that going to any oversized intake valve doesn't get you all that much. When Eric Kerman was building my head, I asked for oversized, flat back valves. He said to save my money as they don't give you much of anything. That was with a 304 Schrick.

John

Thank you for the response. The 160 range was my goal and what one other faq quoted as well. The car has 14 inch rubber on it because of the IE big brake kit. Because of the roads in New Hampshire I am going to keep rubber with some sidewall on it. The car has H&R springs and 21mm sway bars. It will have bracing front and back by the end of the winter. All the bushings have been replaced and it has Bilsteins in all four quarters. The body is in great shape with minimal rust, that is why I bought it.

Thanks again,

Jim

VSR knows what they are doing......and their rep is strong w/ Mario at the helm.

I say 150-160 hp....and Im thinking itll be a bit finnicky..and not like stop and go traffic .

I understand your desire for a snorty and rude weekend bfast toy...thats kinda how I use my 72...for 25- 50 mi backroad rips now and then. Dont get all confused by what you read on forums.....but many here know their stuff as well as Mario.

make sure the car is safe, sorted and reliable.......and get us pics......u should love it.

• 5 months later...

Well I got the car back from VSR on Friday and only have a couple of hundred miles on it so far. The carbs and timing need to be tweaked but so far I am impressed with the low end. To be honest even with the lightened flywheel it is very streetable. Knowing what I have now I would have gone with even more cam. It idles very smooth and pulls away from stop signs without a stumble.

Archived