• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip in the 02!

jrhone

IMG_7006.jpg

Did a little road trip to the Bay Area for the day. Wow the 2002 has become quite a nice little road trip car! It is running quite well. The suspension, well is stiff but not race car stuff and isn’t plush like an Escalade it isn’t horrible either. The seats are quite comfy and not fatiguing at all on long rides and with the audio system installed the sound is amazing even at highway speeds. The one thing that will make this much better to use on long trips. Heater. The heater isn’t working (never did) and the heater box needs to be rebuilt so outside air doesn’t just come into the cabin like open vents. Other than that it was a dream to drive on a road trip. Here are a few pics of the 02 on the drive.

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7006-0.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have found that getting away with tinted windows is a matter of WHERE in California you are….

All my cars and the wires have had tinted windows for the last 15 years.  ZERO window tickets.  The windows in the 02 are too dark for my liking.  When I got them I was going lighter and my wife said, "Thats gonna be too light.  Why even tint them if you are going to use that tint, I'd go a shade darker."  So I (wisely) did what always do, go with my wife's suggestion. She saw the tint on the car and said, "You were right, thats too dark, what do I know about cars thats your specialty…I'm going shopping, but you will get tickets if its that dark….".  So I thought, I'll drive it until I get a ticket, then pull it and retint in a lighter tint.  That was 3 years ago..No tickets.  

Knock on wood….

I have friends in other parts of the state and they put tint on the windows and are stopped the next day.  

I also have found that for WHATEVER reason the 02 does not attract police attention.  I drive like a maniac sometimes and the one time I was pulled over was because of my SUPER loud exhaust.  I was testing the car tune one day and stomped on it.  The officer pulled me over about a mile away and said it took him that long to catch me, but it was because he HEARD me instead of seeing me.  Told me it was a cool car and take it easy next time…no ticket.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

On a past car, I had no front plates and all windows tinted, except the windshield. I was never pulled over. To this day, none of my cars run a front plate. The way I see it, don't do anything stupid or drive like a moron and police officers generally don't bother pulling someone over for such things.

Are you still in the Bay?

Edited by cj

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

CJ, I think thats correct...Another thing...dont ride with 4 people in the car...lol...

I'm back in SoCal...it was a one day trip.

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

I do the same thing, I just have my front plate taped on the front of the dash. Never been pulled over for it, and I drive like a hooligan. I just hope that if a cop does notice, that he happens to be a gearhead and is understanding about my not wanting to drill mounting holes in my pretty front end. That's a gorgeous area in Cal, I was there a few months ago on vacation. Stayed on the beach in the "artichoke capital of the world" a little ways north of laguna seca. Reminds me of the farmland here in Colorado, but hillier. Your mountains can't beat ours though :D   

Back in 2012, I drove my tii over 400 miles one way from the CA central coast to Las Vegas and back. Lucky for me I did the drive in Nov because I would never drive across the Mojave desert in the summer with no AC. Remember, your 02 is the ultimate driving machine, not the ultimate garage queen. Get out and drive it.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Gordon...I once took a trip to Phoenix in early September in the 02.  Temps were 115 at 11am.  02 was cooler than me!  Ran like a champ.  Me...exhausted.

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon