• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

If the advance is such that the peak cylinder pressure does not occur at 10-15degATDC then the sparkplug, fuel/air mixture density and rpm.  The magic numbers are 30-34degBTDC at full load 3000rpm, no more than 45degBTDC light load.  As rpm increases the machinery moves faster but the flame speed is the same, so additional advance of 1 deg per thousand rpm is the way OEMs set up their maps.

Be a bit conservative around 1700rpm or it will ping.

A good cranking advance is 10-14degBTDC as has been said.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I may add that tid-bit to the sheet.. if you could just rephrase that first sentence...? 

"..If the advance is such that the peak cylinder pressure does not occur at 10-15degATDC then the sparkplug, fuel/air mixture density and rpm."

LOL  

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I may add that tid-bit to the sheet.. if you could just rephrase that first sentence...? 

"..If the advance is such that the peak cylinder pressure does not occur at 10-15degATDC then the sparkplug, fuel/air mixture density and rpm."

LOL  

I got lost in my train of thought/editing and lost an entire line of text.  I think it should have "ATDC then the power won't be the best possible.  The correct advance depends on the combustion chamber dimensions at TDC, location of the sparkplug, ..."

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but this device will really open your eyes up to how a distributor and vacuum advance is supposed to work.  Not a one size fits all compromise that a stock distrubutor was but something tuned for your specific engine.  My guess is that after 40+ years, most of our stock distributors really arent fully functioning correctly and a lot of performance/economy is left on the table.

Another satisfied customer!! Step right up folks, step right up...get your 123! 

Steve nailed it with that observation... Seeing the excel spreadsheets and graphs generated by the ingenious 123 users here is testament to the how we tweak our ignition curves to best suit each, particular engine. 

I think the engineers at 123Ignition should modify the "dashboard" display with a AFR gauge that we can plug into...then we would correlate AFR, ignition advance and vacuum all at once...

I know some of the WBO2 sensors have dataloggers, has anyone been able to synch the 123 to them?

Ed

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool