Brake Fluid Reservoir, Is There A Float?

tashakes

I'm tidying up the engine compartment finishing up my M42 swap, and I break the reservoir. After 38 years it was kind of brittle and just moving the hoses broke it. No problem, I order a new one from Pelican, OEM so I don't have to screw around with quality. Take it to the yard, get it replaced, bleed the system, all is good right? Nope, red brake light on dash on. It's not the parking brake cause when I take the cap off the reservoir and push the pin up and down light goes on and off. So I fill up the reservoir past the FULL line and nothing, even past the strainer and start getting something, but not all the time. I really don't want to fill it more cause it's just too much. Then I come to the FAQ to see if I can find anything and I see a pic of a float. Damn, I have no idea if there was one inside the old reservoir and it has been tossed already

Can someone shed some light on this? Mobile tradition does show a float on the parts sheet, but I need to confirm if I messed up and need to purchase a new one or if there is something I am missing

TIA

+3 on all above.

Your car is 1976. Also There is a switch,which is unique to the '76s, and warns the driver of unequal braking effort in the two hydraulic circuits.There's actually a reset button on that unit to turn the light off if it stays on after you fix the problem. That unit is located under MC and has two wires connected to it and reset button is in the center of that unit.

new reservoirs come with a basic cap with no float or switch.  you have to order float separately or reuse the old one.  

at least that is what i have found.

keep the basic cap.  very useful for sealing the brake system to keep fluid from flowing out when you do caliper or brake hose changes.

Archived