Engine Rebuild Recommendations

GoFaSSter

I am in Modesto, CA. I have no problem driving. I was thinking about pulling my engine to do a performance rebuild. I have seen the Metric Mechanic engines, they look nice and seem to cost plenty. I am not totally averse to the cost, but would like to work with a shop on what they want to do to my engine. I wouldn't mind saving a little as well. I am looking at something in the 140-150hp range. I previously collected everything to do an M20 swap, but I am liking the M10 more and more.

Can anyone recommend shops I could work with? I will pull the engine and ship or deliver.

Thanks for the help.

Hi JR--

I was also going to suggest Terry Tinney; Arne Carlson recommended his shop to me.

You should also ask Sean Casey, who with Tom Jones rebuilds engines per your specification.

I bought an MM 2200 engine for my late '73 (carb) that Sean installed in 2007. It worked pretty well but the cam was a problem; I could not tune it without electronically retarding the timing at idle. There were a few other little details I disliked, like lacquering the valve cover with Polaris paint. It cost about $6500 including installation. Paul Gommel has an MM engine in his tii that he seems to like; you might ask him for his opinion.

Larry

PS: they refused any core charge refund except for the 121 head that I negotiated before purchase.

When I get my $$$ saved up I'm going to have Peyton Smith do my motor. He lives in Grass Valley. He is retired but still does 02 work at his home. He spent years at A&E in Campbell, had his own shop in Grass Valley and then ran Steve D's Morgan Hill facility. His Chamonix 72 was THE finest performance example of what these cars can ever be.

Archived