• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Medium Case Differential Swap...

Rocan

Surprisingly not too much information out there. I know that a kit is (or was) available that included a modified subframe and axles.... but the price is crazy.

So i'm considering doing the work myself. What's different? Are all flanges (including the one that attaches to the driveshaft) different? It's wider, so i'm assuming the half axles will need to be custom made... is there anyone making axles with e30 inner CV's and 2002 outers? 

A small case just won't do... they're way too expensive to abuse in the way I intend. The medium case differentials can support 350-450 ftlbs of torque depending on gearing... That leaves a small factor of safety for the power numbers attainable with a turbo.

A search didn't pull up very much on the FAQ, but I have an odd feeling that it's not working properly; my searches are bringing up very few to no results, even when I use simple words. Must be a bug. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Jake is making a modified e30hybrid using e10 subframe... e30 trailing arms and discs. with shortened e30 axles so track remains the same

so youll be able to mount up any 188mm diff from e30/e28/e24

Hes building the first one for an sr20 2002 turbo build and will make the jig at that point.

Not sure what your budget is but this looks promising and I plan to get one for a future build

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Any idea what the track width ends up being with that combination? I'm guessing the e10 subframe is a bit narrower then the e30 yet accepts the e30 trailing arms?

I can fabricate things fairly well... not much of a budget :). I was mostly on the hunt for information regarding the difference in flanges between the two differentials.

A bunch of Bikes...

Any idea what the track width ends up being with that combination? I'm guessing the e10 subframe is a bit narrower then the e30 yet accepts the e30 trailing arms? I can fabricate things fairly well... not much of a budget :). I was mostly on the hunt for information regarding the difference in flanges between the two differentials.

It isnt built yet but hes calculated it to work without widening the track.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I did this for my diesel conversion. I modified the stock 2002 subframe to accept a 2.93 LSD medium case diff. You will want to use the E36 diff cover as it has the two mounting ears similar to the 2002. Axles are easy, it's a combination of late 320i inner CV joint, 2002 axle, and 2002 outer CV. This combination will shorten the axle assembly by 15-20mm.

[url=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/couttsdesign/media/1975%20BMW%202002%20TDI%20Engine%20Conversion/DSC06941.jpg.html]

see my project blog for more information.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

Yes I am planning to build a new sub frame to use the e30 diff and trailing arms.  It would keep stock 2002 track.  Kit would come with a custom subframe and shortened e30 axles...with cores sent in.

I should have more into next week sometime.

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

Yes I am planning to build a new sub frame to use the e30 diff and trailing arms.  It would keep stock 2002 track.  Kit would come with a custom subframe and shortened e30 axles...with cores sent in.

Please post this in a new topic! I'm sure many of us would like to follow.

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

Please post this in a new topic! I'm sure many of us would like to follow.

Once I have some to show I will start a new thread

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

I did this for my diesel conversion. I modified the stock 2002 subframe to accept a 2.93 LSD medium case diff. You will want to use the E36 diff cover as it has the two mounting ears similar to the 2002. Axles are easy, it's a combination of late 320i inner CV joint, 2002 axle, and 2002 outer CV. This combination will shorten the axle assembly by 15-20mm.

[url=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/couttsdesign/media/1975%20BMW%202002%20TDI%20Engine%20Conversion/DSC06941.jpg.html]

see my project blog for more information.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/120815-diesel-conversion-vw-tdi-19-alh/page-2

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton! What about the driveshaft input flange.... is the bolt pattern and diameter the same? 

Love the build by the way!

Keep us posted!

A bunch of Bikes...