New Flywheel Lock Trick

PaulTWinterton

After a fight to tighten the flywheel bolts to the desired foot/pounds using a large screwdriver to lock the flywheel and my other hand to torque the bolts I stopped to think of a better/easier way to stop the rotation of the flywheel.

Actually I stopped because the screwdriver slipped and I smacked my left hand and had to get 4 stitches. Damn!

I read up on the use of VW locking plates and using other various methods to stop the rotation.

The bolts that hold the transmission to the block are adjacent the teeth of the flywheel and by re-inserting 2 bolts back into the block and attaching Visegrips to the bolt with the tips stuck in the teeth, the flywheel is stabilized.

I'm sure there are other easy methods that I haven't thought of but here's a sketch to show the method I used. I should have taken pictures. Sorry.

post-38825-0-64594600-1415049070_thumb.j

Beats a screwdriver but when you can get a VW flywheel lock for under 10 bucks that will really lock it down why Mcgyver something....

True, but this Mcgyver gets tired of waiting 2 weeks for delivery (Canada) for every specialty tool or part when in the middle of a job. Plus (I'd hope) that I'll only use the VW tool once...ever.

Honest answer? I didn't preplan or expect this snag in replacing the rear engine seal. I have lots of tools around the garage that I've only ever used once. :wacko:

My comment may have come across more negatively than I intended.

I like the tip too, and I am all for making my own variants of overly expensive BMW tools (especially in a pinch to get a job done). But a simple flywheel lock (whether home made or the $10 VW variant -- and yes it does fit) is a useful adjunct to the tool drawer if you ever intend to do your own clutch and/or flywheel replacement.

way to take one for the team Paul!! 4 stitches , you must bleed BMW blue

Crazy thing is I had to stay under the car to tighten the last two bolts as they had Locktite on them.  I was bleeding "red" while I was torqueing the last two.

Lesson learned: lock the flywheel the best way you can.  Stay out of the ER.  :(

Archived