Best Way To Remove Trunk Lock

Brandon

Wondering whats the best way to remove the threaded collar on the back of the trunk lock.  Need to replace mine with a new one that has a key and in the past with parts cars, I've gotten it off but not in the proper way (I won't go into detail)!  I searched the archives but didn't see anything posted.  TIA.....

hammer and a flat screwdriver

This is the method I've generally used in the past, however I have bent the rear tail panel on a couple parts cars using this method.  I had one lock where the collar wouldn't move and the whole lock mechanism started bending down with each blow of the hammer...I didn't notice it happening right away until it was too late....I don't want to repeat this on my good car.  Thinking I may try the vise grip method first.  Does anyone know if BMW made a special tool to remove the threaded collar?

This is the method I've generally used in the past, however I have bent the rear tail panel on a couple parts cars using this method.  I had one lock where the collar wouldn't move and the whole lock mechanism started bending down with each blow of the hammer...I didn't notice it happening right away until it was too late....I don't want to repeat this on my good car.  Thinking I may try the vise grip method first.  Does anyone know if BMW made a special tool to remove the threaded collar?

Liberal use of a real penetrant, then a torch to heat the collar has successfully avoided damage on the stuck ones I have removed.

Is that still available in black and white?

:D

If I find one I will make it 02 FAQ community tool regradless of color or how much rust is on it. Members will pay for shipping and handling only.

Meanwhile I made this jig. Made transmission very stable on fllor jack during installation.

post-43112-0-61906200-1414894593_thumb.j

No matter which method you use, stuff the channel between the rear panel and the vertical "U" with a rag first.  Then when the nut does come off, it will land on top of the rag instead of way down in the bottom of that hard-to-access area.  Ask me how I know it's hard....

Archived