Paper Oil Pan Gasket?

bianchini

I've used both, they work just fine (just have to approach them differently).  Success is largely dependent on the nut behind the wrench.

You'd be hard pressed to find a supplier who does NOT carry either option.

Nut behind the wrench.... I'm guessing you are saying it is dependent on the prep of the pan, gasket, sealant...

Making sure your pan gasket surface is flat (may have to fix damage done by previous owner) and following the recommended torque values goes a long way to making the traditional gaskets seal successfully.  Another option would be permatex "the right stuff" or similar -- I haven't used it on an '02 yet, but have had success on other applications.

Making sure your pan gasket surface is flat (may have to fix damage done by previous owner) and following the recommended torque values goes a long way to making the traditional gaskets seal successfully.  Another option would be permatex "the right stuff" or similar -- I haven't used it on an '02 yet, but have had success on other applications.

What are the torque specs? '74 if that changes anything...

Also, blunt mentioned that no one has produced a rubber/ rubberized gasket... why is that?

specs

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/history-and-reference/bmw-2002-torque-specifications-r128

The paper piece is rubberized (if that's what you want to call it).  As for why no one has made something different?  It isn't needed, it's like asking why my 2002 doesn't come with a steering rack (it isn't needed).

specs

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/history-and-reference/bmw-2002-torque-specifications-r128

The paper piece is rubberized (if that's what you want to call it).  As for why no one has made something different?  It isn't needed, it's like asking why my 2002 doesn't come with a steering rack (it isn't needed).

Thanks for jumpin in there with the info Andrew

Archived