• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fenders/ Restoration Design

billjecks

I have been trading emails with restoration design and when I was ready to order fenders they tell me that they are back ordered. Back ordered?? I was under the impression they designed and manufactured their product but it actually looks like they get them from an outside source. Can anyone shed some light on this??

I questioned it and they have yet to respond. Does not give me a warm , fuzzy feeling....

Bill

73 tii

Vancouver BC

Edited by stuck on bmw

Call Steve Peterson at Bluntech. He'll give you the fender scoop, or order them for you.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I have been through the site from one end to the other and their is nothing to differentiate the porsche products that they have been

making for years and the bmw pieces that they also list. The implication is that they manufacture them unless you see something that says 

otherwise.

Bill

Yes that thread tells me exactly what I thought although I have an email from them stating "fenders are back ordered"and "we do not manufacture these". Hopefully I will find out the reality next week.

Bill

Edited by stuck on bmw

We do everything in house: the programming, machining the dies, polishing them and then stamping out the final product. Everything stays with us until we ship out your parts.

I share your lack of warm fuzzy feeling...

If it was me, I'd just go shopping.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've ordered from them, they were good to deal with. Some of the parts we're made by them, others still were in walloth nesch packing. I never thought of asking if they made them or not, and like you was surprised to find out they didn't make everything they listed, but there were no issues when the parts came, I didn't really care who made them as long as they fit!

I purchased floor pans from Restoration Design. I have no problem with them being resellers of Walloth and Nesch. While the euro conversion from WuN was a bit cheaper, I didnt want to deal with shipping from Germany at an indeterminate rate for the product. I was willing to pay more for a fixed rate. RD ships once a week UPS. I don't see a Back Ordered item being reason to rag on a vendor. They were very pleasant to work with. YMMV

While the euro conversion from WuN was a bit cheaper, I didnt want to deal with shipping from Germany at an indeterminate rate for the product. I was willing to pay more for a fixed rate.

or deal with the brokerage in my case.

i just went backed and looked at my invoice from them, and the origin country is identified on that, probably for shipping/brokerage purposes.  some is made in Canada, some is made in Denmark (I thought WuN was in Germany?) so if you give them a call they should be able to tell you.

i went back and forth with them for a few weeks sending pics of my car and asking advise and they always responded properly and promptly.  then when i dropped it off at the body shop, it was all the right parts, no more, no less.  that right there is worth the few bucks i would of saved going other routes to me.

in your case though, it probably makes sense to go directly to WuN and get them quicker since that's all you need and they are on back order.

To be clear on the purpose of this thread. it is not to "rag" on any vendors. All I ask for as a consumer is complete transparency on all transactions. It was not until I was ready to order did I get any indication that this product was not done "in house"and as of yet have not answer as to who actually supplies these fenders. If I had ordered these and had them arrive with w&n stickers , I would be truly pissed as I can order those directly for $100.00 less where I am. For the last two weeks I have been deciding where to order my fenders from and would have been nice to know it was the same product. It was only through posting on faq was I able to determine that. Mission accomplished,now I can move forward. It is nice to have a company like restoration design that will make a commitment to supply body parts for these cars and it likely makes sense for 02ers on the east coast to deal with them.

Bill

Edited by stuck on bmw

To be clear on the purpose of this thread. it is not to "rag" on any vendors. All I ask for as a consumer is complete transparency on all transactions. It was not until I was ready to order did I get any indication that this product was not done "in house"and as of yet have not answer as to who actually supplies these fenders. If I had ordered these and had them arrive with w&n stickers

You also understand that the fenders are not made by W&N either correct?  If your reasoning stands, you should be equally frustrated by the fact that W&N didn't make them in-house and has a healthy profit margin to them (and if you really searched you be able to source them "cheaper"). 

In the case of restoration design, tooling up to make something like a fender is not cheap.  I'd want to advertise an alternative to gauge whether the market was there to support my investment.

Not trying to be negative nancy, just injecting a bit more food for thought.

I understand that walloth and nesch does not make these fenders as in none of their literature do they represent

as a manufacturer of any sort , unlike restoration design. Walloth and nesch makes none of its parts, they are a distributer. I am not sure how healthy a profit there is in a fender that only cost about 150 bucks. I would support  any Canadian manufacturing company but Restoration design for this product is merely a middle man and I would clearly be throwing money away. Believe me I do not have that luxury.

Bill

ps ordered from w&n

Edited by stuck on bmw