Rocker Panel???????

TNan

I purchased a 72' 02 last year. The car came with a bunch of spare parts. One of these parts are 2 NEW rocker panels. However, I cannot identify which car this belongs too. The previous owner claims its for a 2002 but he can't guarantee that. I tried finding it on the internet everywhere but I have no luck. The only thing that may help is a small sticker on each one with "14041 L" and "14041 R".  So I'm hoping someone here may recognize this by knowing the vehicle it belongs to (year/model).

post-46305-0-23089800-1414122060_thumb.j

What you have aren't actually "rocker panels" as installed by the factory.  They're patch panels (and may well be factory parts) that are used to repair rusty rockers.  

In production, the outer rockers were installed before the quarter panels, which were then fitted over the rockers as far forward as the trailing edge of the door opening.  The vertical seam you see in the rockers just below the rear edge of the door is where those two panels meet.  Thus what you see aft of the seam is actually part of the quarter panel, not the rocker.  That's why the rearmost portion of the rocker panels rust out first--water gets trapped between the two layers and rusts both quarter panel and the rocker panel underneath.  

The patch panels you have include the lower portion of the quarter panels that fit between their forward edge (at the door opening) and the rear wheel opening.  To install, you should remove the old outer rocker and the lower section of the quarter panel.  If you hold one of the patch panels up to the car you'll see how it's meant to be fitted, and you can see where to cut the old metal.

cheers

mike 

Mike--I am troubled by the notch in these panels (for the jack bracket).  If old rocker was totally removed there would be no metal to re-attach the bracket.  At least in my '71 the brackets were welded to the outer panel--maybe these just cover the rocker without removal?

Those are aftermarket rocker panel replacements for a 2002, very thin gauge than factory rocker panel which doesn't have the rear quarter "door panel" section. More like a cosmetic cover really. They will work if you want to do a quick repair and sell your rust bucket. I have the thick factory rockers (new) if anybody needs and also has deep pockets. 

Coupla thoughts about the jacking brackets:

1.  They're actually fastened to the inner rocker panels, AKA side frame rails.  The outer rocker panels that you see aren't really structural.  They do contribute somewhat to the car's stiffness, but it's the inner rockers--seen as the vertical "wall" inside the car under the door sills and beneath the rear quarter panel upholstery--that provide structural strength.

2.  I would never use the jacking brackets to lift a 2002--at least not now.  They weren't that strong when new, and even "rust free" cars will have some corrosion in/around those bracket areas.  I aways lift my cars by the subframes.  

The rocker patch panels that TNan pictured are meant to be installed after removing the old outer rocker panels and the rusted lower section of the quarter panels, not over the old ones.  Simply cut around the jacking brackets, and once welded in place seal the gap between the brackets and new rockers.  

cheers

mike

Archived