'68 Front Wheel Camber

RedBeard

Hey everyone!

First post here on my new purchase. 1968 2002.

Coming from the E30 world with a whole lotta love.

I have my first issue with the car. I was driving it home from the seller's house and started feeling a wobble in the steering wheel and a loud squeaking. I pulled over and found the front left wheel was "bowed-in" and the lug nuts were very hot. I'm assuming if I drove further something very bad would have happened.

Do you all think this is a tie rod issue?

To check the bearings, jack that wheel off the ground and grasp the tire at the top and bottom and try and to wiggle it in and out.  

There should be a tiny amount of play, but not much.

Also give the wheel a spin and see how it sounds.

A dragging caliper will generate heat and sometimes squeal.  

It can also warp the rotor, which will cause the steering wheel to wiggle while braking.

You can inspect your tie rod ends by having someone turn the wheel (tires on the ground) and look for lateral movement in the joints; but a problem there would not generate heat at the lug nuts.

It does sound like bad wheel bearings.

Are the lug nuts tight? If they were not snugged down after the wheel was put back on, the left side will unscrew when driving and then your wheel will wobble before falling off. 

If it is your wheel bearings, here is a link to a write up in the article section on how to replace the bearings.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/suspension-and-steering/how-to-do-front-wheel-bearing-maintenance-r129

Another trick to installing new bearings...heat the bearing in your oven (not the microwave!) to 200 or so degrees, the using tongs or heavy gloves, run out to the car and install.  Heating will expand the bearing and it'll slide right on the spindle with little or no trauma.  You've gotta be fast, though...

mike

Pulling suggests dragging brakes, which is also the most likely source of the heat you felt at the lug nuts.

There are flexible brake lines that swell shut with age and can keep pressure on the brakes after the pedal is released.

It is generally suggested that you replace these, if you do not know how old they are.

(They can look okay on the outside, but fail internally).

They are available in rubber (OE) or in a braided stainless steel wrapped set, which is considered an upgrade, but mostly looks cool.

Try and spin that wheel with it off the ground.  Then pump the brake pedal, release and try it again.  

If it does not spin easily, it is likely those hoses.  

There are two to each front brake and two more in the back, for a total of six required.

A set of flare nut wrenches is a worthwhile investment, if you are digging into the brake system.

The Haynes manual is a good one to have.

Photos of your new 'family member' would be fun to see and posting the VIN would tell just how early your car is.

FYI--from your pictures, it appears that your front bumper is from a '73 (note the low front bumper guards that are unique to 73s), and that the seats and door panels are also from (probably) a '73.  A white car would have had either black or dark blue seats, and the recliner mechanisms on a '68 would be chrome, not black-painted.  Also the seat backs on 68s and early '69s are wider than the later cars--the inboard adjusters are covered by upholstery.  And...'68s don't have headrests.  

But you do have the original smooth center steering wheel, dash shelf without the ribs and red center tail lights, all of which are correct for a '68.  Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

cheers

mike

PS--let us know whatcha find re the front end problem

Archived