"rubberized" Finish On Rocker Panels

schoir

On my '76, there is some rubberized material applied to the section of the each rear quarter panel below where the rear bumper wraps around that panel.

My '71 did not have that when it was delivered from the factory.

The question is where exactly was this rubberizing applied on the rocker panels of the early cars?  In other words, did it run all the way from the front to the back of each rocker panel (only in between the front and real wheel wells) and how far up the rocker panel (towards the bottom of the door) was this finish applied?

Regards, Maurice.

All 2002s had schutz applied to the nose panel under the below-bumper crease, to the rocker panels and to the rear body panel below the crease that's under the bumper.  My '69 did have factory-applied schutz to the nose panel per the above description.

Short end chrome bumper cars (pre modell 71) didn't have any schutz applied to the lower quarter panels between rear wheel opening and the rear; long end chrome bumper cars did, below the bumper blade. 

Not too sure about the rear quarters on squarelight cars, as I've not owned one.

cheers

mike

PS IIRC some very early 1600s--66 and 67--didn't have any schutz on the rocker panels at all...

Jim:  Thanks for those photos.  Very helpful on the rocker panel application line.

John:  I searched for Bill Williams blogs and could not find anything.

Mike:  Are these the lines below which the shutz was originally applied?

At the nose panel, was it below the blue line, the red line, the yellow line, or that next little crease below the yellow line ?

post-45192-0-22700600-1414120204_thumb.j

At the tail panel, was it below the red line or somewhere else?

post-45192-0-45733900-1414120787_thumb.j

Also, if that is the line at the tail panel, I'm assuming that the shutz is also applied around the sides, wrapping around to where the indents for the front of the rear bumper side pieces are located.

Thanks for any clarification.

Regards, Maurice.

Nose panel:  below the red line, but there was usually some overspray onto the crease itself.  It looks like the factory didn't mask it off, but used some kind of shield that allowed a little bleeding.

Tail panel: below the red line, with perhaps a little overspray around the corners on short rear bumper cars.

cheers

mike

Archived