• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior colour scheme?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

ss-allseats.jpg

This was the interior of my 02 (which i sold about 2 years ago). It cost about $350 CDN for both front and back. well worth it, imho. (I hope the picture shows up!)

Weighty512

Guest Anonymous

The problem is the exterior. Just think how much more lively the interior would look with a taiga exterior wrapped around it.

Guest Anonymous

...and no it doesn't have to be leather to be cool.

My vintage Scheels are all black. What's unique about the black is the the fabrics are two different textures.

That said, agiven the fact the there MUST be black in the interior scheme (dash, console) and the carpet in a Sahara car is the two tone beige, why not do as you thought...

Use two different shades of tan, a light color similar to the shade that you had your Recaros covered with, and darker brown (the color of milk chocolate).

Also, choose two different TEXTURES - one smoother one for the seating surface and one for side bolsters. There are some great automotive upholstery corduroy fabrics (mid 80s GM stuff).

You can even mix fabric and vinyl. Do vinyl on the backs and fabric on the front and sides.

Be practical, though. One of the higher wearing parts of the Recaros is the driver's outboard side bolster. You should use some pretty tough stuff in that area.

Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get???

Boney Fingers.

Delia, Julius and Red Oktober

Guest Anonymous

Personally, I would choose what I wanted to accomplish and the look I was after first. Do you want something that looks vintage '60s-'70s correct, an '80s update or a modern retro feel? I think that will drive a lot of your decisions. Who do you want this to appeal to?

If you stay vintage, you can pull from the '60s-'70s BMW colors - tan & brown, burgundy & black, dark & light blue, etc. Some wood trim could have a nice effect too. You could use vinyl on the bolsters with cloth centers which would look nice and be comfortable.

If you go '80s update, then you might add some more interesting textures to compliment the vinyl - corduroy (like Delia suggested) or some cloth with a nice pattern to it.

Or you could give it a modern retro feel (Audi TT, MINI, etc.) and do something a little more adventuresome in the color palette - dark olive & sage, oatmeal & blue, etc. You could also let more of your materials show through such as cutting holes around the window winders and finishing the mahogany behind it. Or leave some of the metal panels exposed (front support panel for back seat, inner rockers, tranny tunnel) and finish them in a contrasting color or material (paint, vinyl, etc.). This could be a lot of fun but it would be difficult to pull it off and meld the new with the existing parts.

Good luck on your choice! I can't wait to see the results.

Karl

Guest Anonymous

some black piping on the seats and the new multicolor door panels you spoke of. You did a nice job on those seats. The piping would be subtle and give a bit of depth to he look.