Ice Ice Baby... In Car Entertainment...

Rocan

I know, I know, the 02 itself is entertainment. Now, I'm not saying that I've gotten bored of doing burnouts every time traffic moves forward enough to let me do so, but there needs to be a less destructive option to pass the time in traffic. 

I'm not saying I want a playstation in the car, but I love a good sounding speaker system. I've been slowly working towards things, and more or less have a plan, but I'm curious what other people have done. Personally I think a good ICE setup should have the following:

1. Integrated into the car. I want to hear the speakers, not see them. Space intrusion and cutting must be minimal. 

2. Balanced audio. Bass is nice.... when it's accompanied by a good set of mids and tweeters. 

3. Reasonably priced. 

The third one is the easiest; With some patience I was able to hunt down a decent head unit new in the box for a good price. I'll be using a sony mex-bt3100p, which has all the goodies I need, and not much else. The pre-amp outputs are a must, and the bluetooth and hands free calling is very welcome since the car is a daily driver. 

The plan is to have the Sony output bass through one channel to a monoblock to power the subwoofer. the other channel will go to a powered crossover; high frequencies handled by the tweeter will be sent to one channel and the mids (with the sub frequencies filtered out) will be sent to another. this then gets sent to a 4 channel. 

This allows each speaker pair to get its own gain adjustment in addition to a filtered signal. Distortion is minimized, and this allows cheaper speakers to sound very good. 

6.5" mids will be mounted in the kick panels in custom sealed enclosures, and tweeters will be mounted on the dash. I would like to get a single 10" subwoofer under the rear seat, but box volume may limit me to something smaller. Wasting trunk space is an absolute no-no. My batteries are under the seat for that reason. 

I've already deadened most panels (doing the rear quarters and doors transformed the car) and the floors were recently repaired so they will get some new 80 mil deadening. when the headliner comes off I plan to put a little mass (just a bit to help with the pitter patter of rain) and some acoustic foam to help kill some of the high frequency resonance. 

Has anyone else done anything beyond the usual 6x9s on the hat tray? Surely I'm not the only one who enjoys good audio quality. 

Hi Rocan,

I added an Alpine headunit with BT, XM and iPod input,  JBL 6X9s under the rear seat, JL Audio 4" and tweeter up in the front kick panels with a JL Audio sub custom fitted under the rear seat and a Hertz Amp and Alpine Amp. It sounds good but actually I need to turn down the bass because it is a little too much.

I love having a decent stereo. I spent more money than I intended but I do enjoy it.

Cheers,

JT

post-41151-0-83545000-1413862001_thumb.jpost-41151-0-98612500-1413862023_thumb.jpost-41151-0-61555400-1413862083_thumb.jpost-41151-0-31301000-1413862121_thumb.jpost-41151-0-62996100-1413862161_thumb.jpost-41151-0-67107100-1413862261_thumb.j

Well....I take road trips in my 02 and its my daily driver.  8 hours on the road with no music is not acceptable.  I use my car as a reference tool as well, so I need the sound to be accurate.  Its got  LOUD exhaust and I need to have enough volume to be able to overcome that if desired, and no AC so windows down in the summer driving is common and again, need enough power to overcome the noise of freeway driving.  So here is my system.

Nakamichi CD500 head unit...one of the best sounding head units made..zero bells and whistles, but all I need is good CD quality and aux inputs, which it has, including a digital input.

Speakers are Hertz HSK 165 Component speakers.  Those are stunning and reviewed as the best components you can buy under $1000.  

Amp is a Soundstream TN5.950D.  950 REAL watts all digital power so its not a huge power drain, very efficient.  130x4 and 430x1, built in crossovers.  Super clean.  

Sub is a Alpine Type R 8" Subwoofer.  Hits harder than most 10s.  Handles 350w RMS and 1000 peak!  Thats in a modified Eurotrash under rear seat subwoofer box.  

No rear speakers.  They can do more damage to the soundstage if done wrong.  

I have my iPhone connected to the aux input.

The sound is phenomenal.  Excellent miss and tweets...the miss are so nice and clear.  The low end powerful, punchy and accurate..not super boomy at all.  Put in the Beatles "Love" album and its stunning.  

You wanting to run those speakers active like that may be unnecessary and if not done right, son awful.  You may introduce tons of phase and timing issues.  Get a good amp, run the pre amps out to the amp and let the amp do heavy lifting.  If you want to do active, the Soundstream can do that that.  I am only running 3 channels on the amp out of 5, and I can run the tweeters and miss separately and directly to the amp, but the sound is so good, no need.  Keep us posted. 

Very nice! I love nakamichi... I couldn't find one with an auxiliary input though.

I agree that rear speakers usually do more harm than good. Those hertz are NICE! Did you mount them in sealed enclosures?

Thus far I haven't heard of anyone having issues with phase or timing using active crossovers... The best systems I've heard have all done it that way.

JT... Any pictures of the 4" speakers?

Well. I prefer old school audio equiptment. I have a set of old JBL 5in Coaxials in the doors and a set of A/D/S tweeters in the doors and mids in the hat holder... A/D/S Amp is a four channel and sitting in my room tho'... Need to run the positive back to the trunk :P oh... And a old Sony C-710 headunit. No MP3 BS here only CD's...

Well....I take road trips in my 02 and its my daily driver.  8 hours on the road with no music is not acceptable.  I use my car as a reference tool as well, so I need the sound to be accurate.  Its got  LOUD exhaust and I need to have enough volume to be able to overcome that if desired, and no AC so windows down in the summer driving is common and again, need enough power to overcome the noise of freeway driving.  So here is my system.

Nakamichi CD500 head unit...one of the best sounding head units made..zero bells and whistles, but all I need is good CD quality and aux inputs, which it has, including a digital input.

Speakers are Hertz HSK 165 Component speakers.  Those are stunning and reviewed as the best components you can buy under $1000.  

Amp is a Soundstream TN5.950D.  950 REAL watts all digital power so its not a huge power drain, very efficient.  130x4 and 430x1, built in crossovers.  Super clean.  

Sub is a Alpine Type R 8" Subwoofer.  Hits harder than most 10s.  Handles 350w RMS and 1000 peak!  Thats in a modified Eurotrash under rear seat subwoofer box.  

No rear speakers.  They can do more damage to the soundstage if done wrong.  

I have my iPhone connected to the aux input.

The sound is phenomenal.  Excellent miss and tweets...the miss are so nice and clear.  The low end powerful, punchy and accurate..not super boomy at all.  Put in the Beatles "Love" album and its stunning.  

You wanting to run those speakers active like that may be unnecessary and if not done right, son awful.  You may introduce tons of phase and timing issues.  Get a good amp, run the pre amps out to the amp and let the amp do heavy lifting.  If you want to do active, the Soundstream can do that that.  I am only running 3 channels on the amp out of 5, and I can run the tweeters and miss separately and directly to the amp, but the sound is so good, no need.  Keep us posted. 

Do you have a photo of your unit set-up you can post?

Here are some pics....

Nakamichi head unit....

IMG_6418.jpgIMG_6433.jpg

Alpine Type R 8" subwoofer under rear seat in Eurotrash's sub enclosure:

20140703-123029-45029380.jpg

Hertz Separates installed in doors with Dynamat.

picture-7.jpg

New Door cards and new door vinyl from Dave Varco.  My old door cards were mush and there were holes and rips in the vinyl.  

picture-13.jpg

Hertz speakers installed in doors.

picture-15.jpg

Archived