Options For Refinishing The Hood Lock Bar

schoir

Wondering what possibilities or options are available for refinishing that hood lock down bar that runs in front of the heater fan/motor and ends up on top of the rear of each fender?

I did refinish mine once about 20 years ago with some then-available Varathane black plastic paint but a lot of it ended up flaking off with use.  

I'm also wondering what was on it from the factory to prevent it from rusting prematurely.

Regards, Maurice.

I have seen photos showing the bar painted black, recently, but do not remember the topic coming up.  

The bar on my 76 was plated, not painted.  It is a dull gray zinc color.  Looks natural, as it is what I am used to seeing.  Funny how a black one jumps out at me, saying "redone".  I am not saying black doesn't look good though.  

What bothers me is seeing one covered in over-spray of body color.  I know that will not be the case with yours.  :)

Originally plated, probably cadmium, possibly zinc. I haven't analyzed the various components of mine -- and I'm not home currently -- but the fasteners, ends, etc. were likely yellow cadmium or yellow zinc. I'm not certain about the bar itself: my photos of my car suggest perhaps silver cadmium or clear zinc. Removing one of the black plastic retainer blocks might reveal good original finish unless your prior refinishing covered those areas.

Steve

EDIT: The first three photos below are from a series I shot of my car in August 1983. The bar itself, and a few other components -- even some hardware -- appear to be silver cadmium or clear zinc: there is still some luster to the bar in particular. Ends and other hardware seem to be yellow cadmium or yellow zinc. But note how the left bar end (the piece with the "jog" in it) is quite yellow while the right bar end is quite dull and...un-yellow! The fourth photo, however, taken two years ago when I was replacing the black plastic rollers, shows (a.) how much the finish has dulled and darkened since '83; and (b.) a crisp remnant, under the right roller, of the original yellow cadmium or yellow zinc finish on the right end piece.

post-41123-0-96901900-1413561466_thumb.j

post-41123-0-70266500-1413561490_thumb.j

post-41123-0-47381900-1413561521_thumb.j

post-41123-0-56283500-1413563071_thumb.j

There is no hint of gold coloration, just dull zinc.

006.jpg

003.jpg

That's why I believe the bar itself, and a few other components, were silver cadmium or clear zinc, not yellow cadmium or yellow zinc. My '83 photos, above, post #6, are entirely consistent with yours (just somewhat brighter and shinier).

Steve

Thanks for the replies.  Lots of good info and good ideas there.  The photos are especially helpful.

I'm more interested in applying some process that will last (i.e., not rust or corrode) than in having it be "completely original".  I'm concerned about the probable scratches that will result from trying to install it past the heater motor/fan and what will happen to those areas over time.

Regards, Maurice.

Archived