Custom Exhaust- Seattle Area Shop Recommendations?

bento

Any suggestions for a muffler/exhaust shop in the north King county area or on the eastside?

I need a quick repair for now and a quote on a new exhaust. I'm not interested in an OEM replacement. Depending on the quote, I may go with the IE stainless system instead, but will probably pay for professional installation since it sounds a bit fussy to accomplish on jackstands. 

I had an exhaust leak develop this week and assumed it was the ring gasket that joins the down-pipe to the mid-pipe. I just had the exhaust out to replace the guibo and CSB and assumed I didn't get it reinstalled correctly. I was sort of correct. I got under the car last night to try and re-position/re-tighten the seal and flange but unfortunately the flare at the front of the mid-pipe has torn where the flange bracket contacts the flare.

Thanks!

Brent

Patrick's location in West Seattle isn't really convenient for me. I have his contact info. As much as I'd like to give him my business based on the great reputation he has here, I'd like to have this done a little closer to home. If I ever need someone to dive into the engine, he'll be the first person I call.

In traffic, West Seattle is around 1.5 to 2 hours away from home. 

Any other suggestions north of Seattle or Bellevue? Anything good or bad to say about Dan Fast?

Since no one will give me any alternate recommendations, I called Patrick. There must be a reason for that. :)

He's booked out a couple of weeks, but I'll get a local shop to weld up the tear to get me by until then.

Patrick recommended the IE exhaust as a great value for a lightly modded car (what I will have eventually) so I placed my order with IE as well.

Thanks all for keeping me on the right path.

Patrick is the best, but nevertheless it is not that difficult to install the IE exhaust yourself.

While that's probably true, it sounds like these exhausts have the potential to be tricky to get exactly right so nothing rattles or shifts, and the 2-3 hours in labor cost isn't that great in trade for the confidence that it was done right.

Squeaks and rattles drive me nuts so I'll spend a little more this time.

I've done everything else myself so far but I think I'll sit this one out.

Brent--If you can still tighten the connection adequately, you could try some muffler/pipe sealing compound to seal crack.  This would get you by temporarily.  Exhausts are fairly easy to install--just do a "dry fit" so you can rotate each section separately to fine tune the fit.  There isn't that much to adjust given the downpipe location and body mount tabs at the rear.

Brent--If you can still tighten the connection adequately, you could try some muffler/pipe sealing compound to seal crack. This would get you by temporarily. Exhausts are fairly easy to install--just do a "dry fit" so you can rotate each section separately to fine tune the fit. There isn't that much to adjust given the downpipe location and body mount tabs at the rear.

Crack in current system - I'm going to sneak out of work early today and see if the muffler shop down the street will weld it up. If not, I might give one of these joint sealing compounds or a baggage a shot. Kind of ghetto but only needs to work for a couple days.

IE system install- If Patrick can't get me scheduled fairly soon after the box arrives from IE, I may get antsy and attempt install myself. My only concern is that my car was built right around the cutover from early side exit to later center exit. There's a side exit muffler on there now but it isn't attached to the factory hangers. The valence has cutouts for both but the center exit looked more "factory"(stamped with a bent lip around the edge rather than just cut).

I went with the later system but it's a bit of a gamble. If I get stuck, I have a car with no exhaust.

For reference on my '71 (early exhaust).  There is a flange around the opening for the gas tank to use as a reference.  The body muffler mounts are positioned (when looking to the front) about 2" to left of the flange for the front mount, and 1" to the right for the rear mount.  Hope this isn't too confusing, but would help you ascertain which version of exhaust you will need.  IE has a pic of the early system installed.

Archived