Fender Seal

billjecks

I just removed the fenders for the first time off my 73 tii. There were two very small areas of concern that could only be dealt with, with the fenders off. Quite a pain in the rear dealing with the sealer and the leading at the front. I noticed where the fender tucks into a groove by the headlight there was a kind of sticky foam seal tucked in that groove. Anyone seen this before or know what its purpose is? These fenders have never been off so must have been from BMW 40 odd years ago.

Bill

Vancouver , BC

1973 tii

Not that seam . I am talking about where the front fender lip sits in the groove  to the outside of each headlight. In the bottom of that groove is a sticky foam approximately a half inch deep. The inner edge of the fender sits about 1/4 of an inch into the groove which is about 3/4 of an inch deep. The groove runs from the valance panel up to about 1 o'clock on the headlight (drivers side) 11 o'clock (passenger side)

Bill

Actually, Marshall, I think Bill's talking about that channel in the front panel that retains the front

fender lip into the front inner headlight bucket panel...

...and yes, BMW stuffed some foam into the bottom of that- I've seen it in a couple of cars.

It's a water trap- if you're doing a comprehensive repair, I'd suggest painting the panels up 

pretty darned well, then sealing it from the underside with seam sealer or something.

Or you could stuff dum- dum into the bottom of the groove, and let the fender lip settle into that.

I like dum- dum for lots of things...

t

Archived