Turbo Fender Flares Or Not? 74 Tii

infinkc

I am getting my 74 stripped down so i can get it repainted.  I was going to go turbo flares on it, but now im not sure.  The car is mostly original, but a lot has been changed  on it already to make it a true original car.  (was converted to EFI, interior stripped out and replaced with recaros, 5 speed, old style bumpers.

Will probably make this a track car in the end.

Is there a point where you kill the value of the "tii" ? by modding it, or are turbo flares considered a decent upgrade if done right on these cars.  

The one "upgrade" that generally wouldn't hurt the value would be the 5-speed.

Some purists wouldn't even want recaros in the car; but most people wouldn't mind. (I like them personally). I think the addition of flares would make it more polarizing. You'd have to either want them enough to not care about the resale, or just know you'll have to find the right buyer in the end.

If the car is pretty much stock, I would leave it that way. They only made so many tii's. 

I had the same thoughts running through my head when I picked up my stripped down '70 2002.  Ultimately I went with the flares for a number of different reasons.  

• The car isn't numbers matching, '74 engine, 5 speed swap
  • I want to race (at least autocross) the car when it's complete so wider rubber would be nice
  • I think it looks better and I'm trying to please me and not future owners

The one "upgrade" that generally wouldn't hurt the value would be the 5-speed.

Some purists wouldn't even want recaros in the car; but most people wouldn't mind. (I like them personally). I think the addition of flares would make it more polarizing. You'd have to either want them enough to not care about the resale, or just know you'll have to find the right buyer in the end.

If the car is pretty much stock, I would leave it that way. They only made so many tii's. 

Yea that is what got me thinking, is that its a "tii"and maybe i should keep the body original, if it were a standard 2002, id jump right in and flare it out. Yet at the same-time i have to get the complete car restored, so why not possibly go flares.  

The engine is still matching, but has been modified heavily, and i don't have the other parts to make it stock again, but im sure i can source them if i needed the pieces.  

This is going to be a big project for me in the upcoming months, i will for sure start a thread on it.  Thanks for the responses thus far.

As with any car, BmW 2oo2 or other, to each his own.  These cars (tii's) that is are becoming more and more scarce and as such you will see their values continue to rise.  In the past it seems that you could never get out of one what you put into (in terms of restoration) and that is probably still true to some extent, however that may not be the case in the upcoming years (look at what early Porsche 911's are going for....911T - 60-80k typically, 911s depending on the year and condition....100-250k -friggin crazy. Not saying that tii's will have the same escalation, don't be surprised in the next five years they double in value (only my opinion of course).  I always look at my cars with an exit strategy since virtually nothing is forever.  With all that said, I would say "nyet" to turbo flares.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

its your car.  do with it what ever you want.  you bought it to drive, and you have auto-x aspirations.  the car is already missing the tii injection and interior, so go for it.  worry about your interests, not the possible interests of some maybe future owner.

unless you are going to keep the car in a bubble and only bought it as an investment.  in that case, it ain't really a car anymore....and you need a better investment adviser.

LOL...my "exit strategy" for cars is how fast can I exit the next turn.  worrying about the potential value of the car in the future ruins the fun of driving it NOW.

I proudly wear the peanut gallery nametag.  You asked for opinions, so here goes.  (Full disclosure:  Only 02 I've ever had is a 72 tii, which is 99.9% stock.)

I think the heart of the tii "thing" is the kfish / injection set-up.  Yes the other upgraded parts and pieces add to the mystique, but the kfish is the big deal.  Since your car is modded with EFI already, taking into account all the other mods, I don't think you'll hurt the value a great deal by doing what you want with it.  

My logic is:  A person that REALLY WANTS a tii is going to be inclined to pass on your car since it doesn't have the kfish, etc.  Putting flares on it isn't going to matter to that person one way or another.  

Plus, it's your car, regardless of what it is, or could be worth some day.  You get to do what you want.  

I guess future value is something to take into account, but ideally you make your car into something you use and enjoy on a regular basis.  To me that's the point of it all.  I mean, we're one computer in the UK doing some arcane derivative trade wrong away from another melt-down, so the "what will it be worth in five years" thought-process only is somewhat relevant to me.  Great if the tii is worth more in the future, but it might not be, either.  Who knows.  It's speculation - good reason to think they'll go up, but it remains to be seen.

Scott

its your car.  do with it what ever you want.  you bought it to drive, and you have auto-x aspirations.  the car is already missing the tii injection and interior, so go for it.  worry about your interests, not the possible interests of some maybe future owner.

unless you are going to keep the car in a bubble and only bought it as an investment.  in that case, it ain't really a car anymore....and you need a better investment adviser.

LOL...my "exit strategy" for cars is how fast can I exit the next turn.  worrying about the potential value of the car in the future ruins the fun of driving it NOW.

LOL, thanks for reminding of why I post so infrequently here any more....you keep hittin those turns fast....

Archived