Sold It

glemon

Sold my 2002 today.  I had said when I bought the car that I was going to sell it shortly after I got it running, a year after I bought it and 11 months or so after I got it running, it is gone.  Didn't need to sell it, but it was time to fish or cut bait as they say.

Got the car running and most everything working, but if I was going to keep it I would feel like re-doing it all, mechanically and cosmetically, as both body and mechanicals were a bit tired after years of use.  I really liked the car, it combines some of the best features of vintage and modern cars, and is also a great example of a fun car wrapped in a practical package.

I really didn't want to do a full blown restoration, so it was time for it to go, but that was not the only reason, pushing into my mid-fifties I am starting to realize my time enjoying old cars is not infinite.  I have spent a lot of time with British cars, enjoy them, and will probably keep my TR250 (that I did restore I few years back) for some time. 

I feel like I can do SU carbs and Lucas electrics in my sleep, while I certainly didn't unlock all the mysteries of old BMW's I had great fun and learned a lot.  I figure my time, space and resources are not unlimited and would like to expand my car horizons more, best way to do that is to make room for the next adventure. Never owned anything Italian, and an Alfa or even an old Fiat sounds appealing, ran into two GTV6s the last couple of weeks, maybe it is fate?, there may be an x1/9 or maybe something Swedish, a Saab Sonett or even an old two stroke in my future.  Wouldn't mind messing with some old 70s motorcycles either.

If I ever get less busy (ha!) and more rich (ha! ha!)  I would probably not be averse to restoring something again, maybe an E-type, E-9, or early seventies Alfa GTV.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the ride with me guys, it has been fun.

If I ever get less busy (ha!) and more rich (ha! ha!)  I would probably not be averse to restoring something again, maybe an E-type, E-9, or early seventies Alfa GTV.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the ride with me guys, it has been fun.

E9s are great until they rust or need a repair, and those two things are constant. Something to keep in mind, 2002s are easy in comparison.

Best of luck in your new endeavors.

Thanks for the kind words, I kind of thought I might get a few "are you crazies" or "2002s are better cars than any of those others on your list" but it is really not about better, just about continuing the car adventures that I enjoy, if I get something interesting and fun down the road I'll try to remember to stop back in for one more slightly off topic post ;)

Archived