• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let Me Take Your Portrait!

McMadCow

Hi everyone, I've been a member here for a while but I don't post very often.  I'm a photographer and I've been working on a project that I could use some help on.  

I am putting together a portrait series featuring owners and their cars.  My goal is to create a visual catalog of 2002s in the Bay Area and the diverse community of people who drive and maintain them.  From Concours examples to rat rods, original owners to race drivers, I want to include everyone.  We are fortunate to live in an area with an abundance of 02s still on the road and a culture that appreciates the notion that a car isn't a disposable appliance.  

THE PROJECT:  Each car and owner will feature in two pictures in the final project... one of the car, and the other, a portrait of the owner.  For your participation, you will be given one of each.  Ideally, I will collect all of the pictures and make an exhibition in a gallery as well as a book of the catalog.  PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROJECT IS FREE, I AM ONLY ASKING FOR A BIT OF YOUR TIME FOR PICTURES AND A SHORT QUESTIONAIRE. 

WHO AM I?  I am a professional photographer and the proud owner of a '74 2002 with a swapped M42 engine.  It is my daily driver and my weekend track car.  I have recently moved back to the Bay Area from London after earning my Masters Degree in Photography.  I want this project to be a love letter to the Bay Area and the 2002 Community.

My previous work can be seen at:  www.andrescavage.com -careful, that link is is NSFW for some nudity.  Nothing you wouldn't see in a gallery, but fair warning.  

So please PM me or contact me directly at andrescavage.photo at gmail dot com if you'd like to participate.  I'd love to start photographing the great cross-section of owners and their cars!

post-39297-0-27506100-1413093121_thumb.j

post-39297-0-34016900-1413093241_thumb.j

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

Jason, 

This is intriguing—I have a background in large format photography and recently did a self portrait for BMW magazine. Was a fun experience, but like you, I prefer to be on the 'wrong side' of the camera ;) 

I would be interested in learning more about your process and perhaps you could peer-pressure me into being a subject! 

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

Thanks for the continued interest, everyone.  I've replied to all open PMs, and I'll send one your way, Kile.

Looks like I'll probably start booking sessions for November, in order to be able to keep everything sane as they start to pile up.  Weekends will be best, but there's the possibility that I'll be able to do a weekday in a pinch.  Remember that we're about to start getting some short days, and I shoot under natural light...

Also, a favor to everyone who sees this or is participating-

I NEED SOME LITTLE OLD LADIES FOR THIS! (so to speak)

I have one female owner tentatively booked so far, but I see plenty of them out on the roads of the Bay Area.  If anyone happens to know any more and can get in touch with them with details about the project, I'd greatly appreciate it.  As great as the response has been, the project will only truly reach the next level if we get to show that there's more to the community and the connection than a bunch of petrolhead dudes.  I mean no offense by that either, it describes me to a "T".

Edited by McMadCow

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

• 3 weeks later...

All -

Jason came by our house yesterday for the photo shoot for the 02 owners catalog he is doing.  We had all three cars home.  Jason did a great job not only taking shots of the car but he also focused on the story behind the owner and car.   This is a great project he is undertaking.  I hope lots of Bay Area owners participate. 

Thanks again Jason!

Stuart

Hey Jason,

Thanks for stopping by yesterday. This seems like a very cool project.

To anyone who has a good story to tell about your car(s) -- and who here doesn't -- and would like some good photos of your car to boot, I highly recommend you connect with Jason. A very stand up dude on a very cool quest.

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

Thank you guys!  This project is off to a great start.  

That said, I'm still looking for subjects and their cars, though, so please feel free to reach out with any interest.  Once I have some good examples of the project to post, I'll be back here with pictures...

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update to the progress of the project.  5 cars photographed so far, with another two happening this upcoming weekend.  I'm still missing some of the diversity of subjects I'm hoping for, but that will come in time.  

I haven't selected any final images from the shooting I've done yet because I have to take some of them to a drum scanning lab, but in the meantime here's a preview:

Spike checks a final detail on his '72 Chamonix.

post-39297-0-18447400-1416521110_thumb.j

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors