Sealing The Top Fender Gap

TurkisM2002

While the rest of the front fender bolts to the body, that small section above the headlight is spot-welded to the nose panel assembly.  The factory then leaded over the seam.  That's the proper way to finish off the seam so that it's invisible.  If you use body filler, it will eventually crack because the joint will flex ever so slightly.  You can use seam sealer, but it will leave a vertical valley, similar to the seam below the headlight/grille. 

So think of it as an opportunity to learn a new skill--leading a seam.  It takes practice but you can learn it--all you need is some body lead, flux and a propane torch.  And patience! 

mike

I have fiberglass fenders so what do I know? When my car had steel fenders, I mig welded the seam and finished with body filler. Never cracked even when my MM Max stick "racing size" sway bar (and rusty frail rails) was making my windshield walk out of the frame.

I have been thinking of something to seal the inner/ top gap as I have spacers and such to get the fit right. Thean again it's not like I drive it in the mud and rain,,,,, yet.

Hi Chris79,

Car bodies have long used caulking, and I have noticed some in various places on my 75 ,02.  We used to use butyl rubber caulking, which was also used in gutter applications, and was paintable, but was difficult to work with because it was stringy and too sticky.

Lately I am having excellent success using a DAP product called DAP 3.0.  I believe it's a polyurethane-based caulk.   It's an exterior caulking that is paintable. It guns best at room temp. Cleans up with mineral spirits or better yet charcoal lighter fluid.

And there are no dum-dum questions, only dum answerers.

Keeps water out of the engine bay, and keeps rust down. 

Otherwise, spray from the wheels would have gotten launched through

that seam, and against the underside of the hood.

And the slight movement there would have eventually worn through the paint,

and it would have rusted.  Just like the bottom corners do...

t

Archived