Help -- I Screwed Up

fatphil

So I was trying to replace my worn steering coupler/guibo.  Got all the nuts out except for one that I eventually stripped.  Ended up sawing the screw off.  Now looking to replace the screw I sawed off, but couldn't find one anywhere.  Tried calling my local BMW and they told me that I would have to purchase the entire flange since the screws are not sold separately (this may bs but the steering column diagram doesn't itemize the specific screw I need replaced). 

Anyway, can anyone on the board lead me to a place I can purchase this screw?  Used, new, nos, whatever .... I just need one to finish my project.  I'm in 92808 and have tried all my local sources.  I'm enclosing a couple of pictures of the steering column flange that shows missing screw. 

Thanks in advance.

post-45903-0-85217500-1412900055_thumb.j

post-45903-0-44086800-1412900056_thumb.j

Having just completed this job, I can confirm that the bolt is pressed into the flange.

I bet someone on here has a spare flange. Just get the whole thing rather than trying to find something that'll work.

Where are you located? Maybe you'll luck out and someone local has it in their spare parts stash.

If not, I had great luck finding a few things by posting in the parts wanted section recently.

Yeah, it's pressed in that hole.  It's actually splined on both the screw and the flange hole.  I was able to remove the screw from the flange though with a little heat ... gave me a sample to carry around when I was looking locally.  Hoping to just replace the screw .... I'll try blunt too. 

Yeah, it's pressed in that hole.  It's actually splined on both the screw and the flange hole.  I was able to remove the screw from the flange though with a little heat ... gave me a sample to carry around when I was looking locally.  Hoping to just replace the screw .... I'll try blunt too. 

That's awesome, Andrew!!!  Duarte as in IE store?  Not sure if I can make it to the meet this Saturday -- still waiting for my son to let me know if he can join me.  Any chance I can pick it up somewhere closer to Anaheim?  I'm off Santa Ana Canyon Road on 91.  If not, I'll find a way to get to Duarte .....

Thanks again.  This board is really awesome!!!

Archived