Found: 2-Wire Alternator To Fit Tii Bracket.

dlacey

All,

I think most of the suggested replacement alternators don't fit the Tii bracket & require some spacers or something to fit. i went to my local alternator repair shop here in Malaysia & asked the Chinese guy for something that would fit in replace my stock item...a short conversation with the old guy sitting on the floor and he points up to a high shelf, almost without looking up... They get it down & it's almost perfect:

Its a 2-wire Bosch of 80A capacity, its about 10mm larger diameter and it fits the stock bracket just fine without spacers, pulley lines-up fine. It clears the body & the suspension OK. The tensioner bar needs to be bent outwards half an inch to align with the alternator boss, easily done with vice & a hammer. Original application for this Bosch Alt is the Volvo 900 Series cars, maybe late 700 series as well.

I just installed the BNR tii alternator and I'm really happy with it so far (2 days of use). It comes with a small "pigtail" with a male spade terminal on it to plug into the D+ terminal on the tii's three wire plug. Thanks to BMW for labeling each connection on that plug because people had described it as the blue wire but all of my wires were covered with a boot or extra insulation and I wanted to avoid cutting it off. As others complained the pulley is a little small so you should find a shorter belt, I currently have my adjustment maxed out.

• 3 years later...
On 10/7/2014 at 2:53 PM, dlacey said:

All,

I think it's AL-157-X, sometimes comes with a double pulley, sometimes just bare shaft, but you can swap over your original fan & pulley easily.

Has anyone else tried the AL157X as a direct replacement for a tii alternator? Pictures I can find look right compared to the original AL40X

Thanks,

Paul 

AL157X side.jpg

tii original alternator side 2.jpg