Almost Killed My M10...

Nesset127

Today on the way home from highschool my oil light started flickering. Noticed it was only when it was idling so I was assuming there was actually a issue. Got home and fell asleep. A few hours later my dad said something about oil under my car so I ran out there hoping to God my oil pan was in one piece. Upon closer inspection my oil drain plug was nearly falling out. It was hand tight and I could feel it wobbling back and fourth in its threads.... Remember, check these things everyone.

-Nesset

+1 "never heard of this."    

I've had the opposite problem:  needed a  pipe wrench to unloosen, the aluminum washer was badly deformed and locking the drain plug.  Solution:  change the washer every few oil changes.

Cheers,

Carl

Should replace the crush washer at each oil change.

I too have never had the plug loosen on any of my cars, ever.

+1 "never heard of this."    

I've had the opposite problem:  needed a  pipe wrench to unloosen, the aluminum washer was badly deformed and locking the drain plug.  Solution:  change the washer every few oil changes.

Cheers,

Carl

There's your problem! A regular wrench could likely have been employed to untighten.

:D

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Solution about the too-tight plugs - take your vehicle to a quicky-lube place (no names mentioned here  ;) .

Several of my co-workers have complained about stripped oil pan drain plugs - or some services that the shop did not refill the crankcase at all.

Most newer vehicles have an aluminum oil pan and steel drain plug.  It is very important not to over-torque the plug and use a new crush washer each time.

Oddly enough I tightened the nut fairly tight too..

ah, there is a specific tq for the drain plug.  "fairly tight" is not it.....

Solution:  change the washer every few oil changes.

do not reuse any crush washer, ever.  they are single use items.  they crush...once.....to hold the plug.  if you back off the plug, you have to replace the washer.  this goes for the diff fill and drain plugs too.

ah, there is a specific tq for the drain plug. "fairly tight" is not it.....

do not reuse any crush washer, ever. they are single use items. they crush...once.....to hold the plug. if you back off the plug, you have to replace the washer. this goes for the diff fill and drain plugs too.

This is probably my problem because I did re-use it. You learn something new every day.

I've been re-using crush washers for years and have never had an issue with leaks or loosening plugs. I do replace them every so often--when they look all squished and beat-up. I torque the plug to "that feels about right" lb-ft. That is tighter than "fairly tight", but not so tight as "I think the threads are about to strip tight." Now that I said that my plug will probably fall out at the next track event (LOL!). Might be time for some safety wire :)  --Fred

Archived