How Much Pressure, Mahle Pistons

tim385

The "pistons" will take a lot more than the headgasket will.  It is really going to depend on your fuel/ignition management system.  Keep the charge air cool (intercooler) make sure there is enough fuel (injection programing) and make sure there is NO DETONATON (ignition maps and knock sensors)  at 8.6:1 compression you should be able to run 1bar of boost (14.7 psi) if you plan on running that much boost you have a ton of other things you will need to deal with well beyond the strength of the piston domes.  Talk to anyone that has gone down this route and you will find they have rebuilt/replace engines multiple times in the process of getting the Turbo/Fuel/Ign systems all working correctly.  A very small mistake in the ECU program can melt things down in one pull on the dyno before you can even see it happening. 

IF you are thinking about going TURBO you need to do a ton of research and find someone that understands ECU programing AND turbos.  Set your expectations low to start and make sure you have everything working correctly BEFORE you turn up the boost. 

imho the piston type/source and material has little effect on "how much boost it can handle", or "how much hp it can handle", the concerns should be on something else, heat/detonation kill/melt the pistons (improper timing or weak mixture), and exceeded rpm/inertia limits mechanicaly destroys them.

Getting forged piston just gives you more margin in heat tolerance in case it goes wrong or if you race and work the engine always near its limit on extended period.

fwiw i used to run 18psi on non-forged toyota pistons in my turbo M10, very well intercooled and electronicaly controlled in terms of timing and mixture. never had a single issue. i am sure flat tops can do well, as long as timing and mixture are kept safe/logical. i also used a stock reinz head gasket, properly torqued with proper rms surface on block and head.

Archived