Ok, that is the photo and here is the story...

21 years ago I rescued this 2002 from a friendly but uninformed custodian, a surfer chick from another suburb near where I live in Newcastle, on the East coast of Australia.

Over the next 10 years I tidied up the car, added a factory LSD, put in a 5 speed, rebuilt the engine with goodies I purchased in the U.K. and America (weighty hand luggage) replaced the downdraft with side draft Mikunis, and then later replaced them with 45mm Webers on a Ti manifold. I repainted her white over the chalky Polaris silver and gun metal grey rattle can amateur job, entered her in various motorsport events such as hill climbs and classic rallys and a few years later stripped her back to bare metal to find a clean rust free shell (our weather here is similar to Southern California). The next incarnation was Verona red. A year after having that professional paint job done, I made a wrong decision and sold her to a good friend of mine.

That was 10 years ago.

After moving on to E30s and 911s I still told anyone who wanted to listen that “if I ever restored another classic it would be a 2002”. After a few years of living with modern transport and no classics in my life other than the nose section of an 02 hanging on my garage wall I contacted the friend who owned my old girl along with a few others and asked if he had any 02s that I could consider buying as a project. He answered with “your red car is in the backyard and I have the touring for sale as well”. Sadly due to a shortage of storage the car had sat in my friend’s back yard for 6 years so I thought she might be a basket case but was surprised that she had survived the elements (mostly) and she even had a bit of a shine still on the paint. The “tin worm” had attacked her though but I believe she is restorable.

Crawling all over the car was like seeing an old friend again and the memories of the mods and additions I made to the car all came back to me one by one.

That was one month ago.

We agreed on a price and the car is now residing in my garage, out of the elements and slowly being dismantled in order to attend to the rust and a few minor repairs.

I'm not really into naming cars jgerock but "The hammer" comes to mind, as in "Ned Kelly's hammer" (he was a famous Australian outlaw). The old saying goes, It is like Ned Kelly's hammer, it has had 5 new heads and 3 new handles but it is still Ned Kelly's hammer". Meaning, she is made up of many parts from quite a few 02s.

Auzzies and the Europeans towing big trailers with little cars... Not sure how y'all do it sometimes! Glad to see the 02 back where it belongs!! Hope you kept the weave wheels!

LOL Don't worry, the law keeps an eye on what we tow with. The tow car is like a v6 Pontiac in your world. It's a General Motors Holden Commodore and no, the wheels weren't part of the deal.

Archived