Oil Light Quandry

nukefrog

Hi, new here.

I have a 1969 BMW 1600 I aquired 2 weeks ago, it's definatly a project car.

Anyway, yesterday the oil light flickered on and off (then stayed sort of dim for a while) on the freeway, I quickly pushed in the clutch and pulled off. As soon as the RPMs dropped the light went off. When I went to restart the car the oil light and alternator light did not come on with the ignition on but the oil light will flicker on and dim at high RPM again.

I changed the sender switch, no change, oil light still doesn't come on with the ignition but will flicker at higher RPM (sometimes lower).

The oil smells fine, temp is nice and low.

Probably a short somewhere (rain water leaks fromt he windshield and behind the dash).

Before I tear into the dash, and ideas?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I purchased an oil pressure gauge (mechanical) as I don't feel comfortable driving home if there is a low pressure issue.

The pressure is off the gauge. (goes to 100 psi)

Too much oil pressure so I'm assuming an oil pressure relief vavle spring?

The pressure relief valve is on the oil pump inside the oil pan.  If you have an original '69 engine it will have the early gear style pump.  There is a very good chance that it has been changed sometime in it's life to the later style pump, you won't know until you pull it apart.  You should have > 50 psi @ 3000 rpm with warm oil. if you are running 100 psi + then you need to be very careful when it is cold you can blow the oil filter seal out.   

Which light on the instrument panel is the oil light?

Ray knows this... he's just baiting someone. :)

I'll bite

021968GAUGEandTAILITES.jpg

The next line of questioning will concern your grounds... especially if you have a jumpy fuel gauge.  The ground on the back of the gauges can be beefed up like this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/86230-i-have-three-questions-about-the-dash-gauge-cluster/

Ed

It was working before 2 days ago. On top of the speedo, right light, red, has an "L" on it, Alt is on the top left.

Any idea where to find an oil pressure relief valve sring and plunger?

Nope.

That's the charging telltale.

The oil light is amber.

Ray knows this... he's just baiting someone. :)

I'll bite

021968GAUGEandTAILITES.jpg

The next line of questioning will concern your grounds... especially if you have a jumpy fuel gauge.  The ground on the back of the gauges can be beefed up like this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/86230-i-have-three-questions-about-the-dash-gauge-cluster/

Ed

Yeah.

I was too lazy to search for CD's pic.

:D

Ohhhhh, well, that explains some things.

The alternator mount bushings are shot and it's been complaining, might explain the charging issue.

Oil light still doesn't work but it may be a broken wire or something. I have a lot of previous owner issues to deal with (none of the lights worked when I bought it), lots of goofy wiring.

The fuel gauge sometimes jumps to "full" when it gets hot or just because she feels pissy.

After reading through some of the other threads the oil pressure may be correct (cold), I need to buy a 150 psi gauge.

*Quandary (damn spelling nazi) :blink: .

Thanks for all the responses, mucho helpfull.

Here's a picture of the pigtail I soldered up for an extra ground to back of my instrument panel.  This was then routed to a ground on the firewall under the dash.

post-42878-0-04314400-1412275437_thumb.j

I did this last year (along with cleaning up the other grounds under the hood) and my interior lights and gauges have been rock-solid ever since. No more jumpy temperature gauge and fuel gauge!

It's super easy, shouldn't take more than about 45 minutes, start-to-finish, and doesn't necessarily need soldered connections; crimping will suffice.

Ed

Check and clean all your grounds... The voltage regulator mounting screw is one that can get overlooked.  Double check the ground wire off the alternator; it's an easy one to get molested while changing oil and other maintenance. 

Like you, I also had a similar dim glow on my charging light last year... I hit Ray up and he gave me the scoop on the beefed-up instrument panel ground.  You can take the opportunity to remove and clean all the instrument bulbs while you have it out.  They get amazingly dirty!

Get those new alt bushings in pretty soon... or you might be replacing the whole alt.

Archived