Make Your Doors Close Perfectly (Or At Least Better)

nutbehindthewheel

Having trouble getting your doors to close easily ??

In case you don't have one, or don't know, there is a little part you need

# 5 in pic posted here - "bump stop" or "latch buffer"

Part # 51 21 1 809 735    They're only $ 1 or $ 2

It is a little rubber-like piece that fits over the door latch (on the door)

With these, your door closes great, or at least better if it has problems

Part available from several vendors (I don't have anymore - used all mine)

If you don't have this on your door, get 2 (1 for each door)

You'll be glad you did, they make the door work really well !!

post-42188-0-54549900-1411588872_thumb.j

And we learned recently via the FAQ that those kernals have a fat side and a skinny side.  Have to put them in the right way for them to work the best.  

Details, details.  

Scott

Which way to work best? I did look at the FAQ but didn't see it.

There is a thick end and a thin end,  The thick goes towards the car.  The newer replacements don't have as much of a difference side to side.  I put one on backwards and the door would not close well on the passenger side.  It had to be slammed.  I went to put the old one back on (yes, I save almost everything) and noticed the difference side to side.  I spun the new one around and it worked better.  

It is another example of the old parts being made a little better than what is being offered now.  

Genuine BMW parts, by the way... although no logos on them. :( 

How much do you want for your set Daron? 

photo here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/157241-new-door-strikers/

There is a thick end and a thin end,  The thick goes towards the car.  The newer replacements don't have as much of a difference side to side.  I put one on backwards and the door would not close well on the passenger side.  It had to be slammed.  I went to put the old one back on (yes, I save almost everything) and noticed the difference side to side.  I spun the new one around and it worked better.  

It is another example of the old parts being made a little better than what is being offered now.  

Genuine BMW parts, by the way... although no logos on them. :(

How much do you want for your set Daron? 

photo here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/157241-new-door-strikers/

Those arent actually OE Genuine BMW parts. Not that it likely makes much difference but those ar APA /URO kernels

I know we are talking about one of the tiniest, cheapest parts on the car, but I close my door at least twice every time I use my car.

There is much appreciation to be had, if it makes a solid clunk when shut and I do not have to tell my passenger to 'slam harder'.

I cringe when they then slam it really hard; but I don't like to fine tune the 'correction'.

Those tiny little part lead to more discussion/correction than I liked.

I spun the backwards one around, but it still does not work as well as the thicker original.

It may be that the other parts of the striker assembly could be adjusted to work with the thinner ones, but I don't want to go there.

The old ones (likely original) still worked.

One had a crack, but stayed put.

I may just put them back and swap right to left to hide the crack.

Archived