• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murphy's fecking law. (aka, I really didn't need this...)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can you get a drill in there? Often when you take a drill to stuck bolts, they'll screw right out...the drill bit has to be turning the right way though.

Eddy

Guest Anonymous

It never fails... In the midst of a m20 swap under a huge deadline (wanna get it ready for driving school in may)... i found a crack in my subframe (motor mount dealie). damn. so today i haul the subframe totally out, as i want to fix it right. figured i'd blast and epoxy it since it was out (gotta be positive :)

so what happens? one of the subframe bolts snapped flush into the frame rail. damn damn damn. i don't know how the hell i'm going to get it out.. as its a BIG bolt.. and if it was frozen enough to snap itself.. i'm not sure how an EZ out will fare. And its the middle bolt..sooooo tempting just to saw screw it and leave it there. Yes, I know better.

I need to punch something.

vent over

matt

Guest Anonymous

its my only choice to ez out it out. (too may outs :) I think i'll give it a good torching first too.. just so it knows who is the boss (thats me)

matt

Guest Anonymous

....breaking an ez out will really make your problem suck even worse. If you can, drill the hole for the ez out, then torch the broken stud as hot as you can, then use the ez out. Hopefully the bolt will spin easily out once red hot. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

small bit, and sulphur based cutting fluid. Then go for the larger drill sizes. The larger the bolt, the larger the extractor you can use. Did it snap off flush? Maybe u can slot it for a large right angle screw driver?

don't forget soaking in liquid wrench and tapping lightly - the vibrations help it soak in.

I would think the heat solution works if you can thermally isolate the fastener from the subframe. Maybe it works otherwise but heat causes expansion so, I wouldn't want to heat the bolt up. Heat also causes differential movement depending on the mass and shape of the material so maybe it works. My opinion only, whatever floats your boat....

Chuck that ez out in a manual style, hand impact wrench. That, and a 32oz. ball peen hammer has saved the day for me, but your results may vary..

Good Luck,

John McA