MildSeven

Hi Guys

After noticing that my 'L' indicator was dimly light (and it would become a little brighter when RPMs would increase), I looked under the hood to find that there was slack on the alternator belt. I noticed the bolt which holds the alternator tension arm to the block was no longer doing it's job.

I was worried the bolt snapped but I didn't have a clear line of sight nor could I get my head in there, so I used my phone to snap some photos of the situation. Luckily the bolts is gone and doesn't require extracting.

It looks like the hole is threaded so I assume only a bolt is needed (no nut).

I searched the net but couldn't find the bolt size, does anyone know it?

...also while searching, I read something about bushings on the alternator mounting points, it doesn't look like there's space for a bushing but I'll ask anyway.

Thanks dudes!

Anthony

post-46694-0-66991100-1411478907_thumb.j

post-46694-0-24445800-1411479151_thumb.j

I think you will find this page helpful

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=12_0930&hg=12&fg=20

It shows the rubber bushings (2) and the bolt size, M8X45-8.8.

The bushings are also available in Polyurethane and should last longer than the rubber ones.

The threads look a little buggered up.  Hopefully you will be able to get the new bolt started without cross threading it.

Edit

If you are not aware of RealOEM, you should check it out.  The link I posted was found using my 76 serial number.  We are lucky to have later cars, because the site does not always work with older vin numbers.  You have to click on "archive" and then enter your vin.

Regarding new bushings for the alternator support arm I just ordered the two pair that are required from LaJolla Independent (bimmerdoc.com).  Others, including the dealerships, probably have them also, but from the dealership they are not poly urethene like the ones I ordered from LaJolla.

Bob Napier

I think you will find this page helpful

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=12_0930&hg=12&fg=20

It shows the rubber bushings (2) and the bolt size, M8X45-8.8.

The bushings are also available in Polyurethane and should last longer than the rubber ones.

The threads look a little buggered up.  Hopefully you will be able to get the new bolt started without cross threading it.

Edit

If you are not aware of RealOEM, you should check it out.  The link I posted was found using my 76 serial number.  We are lucky to have later cars, because the site does not always work with older vin numbers.  You have to click on "archive" and then enter your vin.

thanks a lot...

Do you know where I can get the poly-bushings?

Don't know if I'm reading it wrong but it seems I need 7, 15, 17... but 7 is a nut.

Regarding new bushings for the alternator support arm I just ordered the two pair that are required from LaJolla Independent (bimmerdoc.com).  Others, including the dealerships, probably have them also, but from the dealership they are not poly urethene like the ones I ordered from LaJolla.

Bob Napier

ok thanks Bob, I emailed them for a quote.

• 9 months later...

I'm having a similar issue of the bolt/nut on the adjustment arm working its way loose I have to add tension and re tighten every couple months. Also, my alternator light has always been on suspecting it is in the wiring as the alternator hasn't failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a similar issue of the bolt/nut on the adjustment arm working its way loose I have to add tension and re tighten every couple months. Also, my alternator light has always been on suspecting it is in the wiring as the alternator hasn't failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my issue was the low-voltage light would come on at higher RPMs because the alternator arm/bolt had come loose so when the belt would spin quickly it wouldn't make enough contact to spin the alternator.

I can't say I drove it much after fixing it... but it hasn't come loose since.

Archived